H1 Caliper Rebuild

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
chazzmanbm
Settled in member
Reactions:
H1 Caliper Rebuild

Post by chazzmanbm » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:15 pm

Hi Folks,

I've got an old H1 (1989) that I am restoring and want to rebuild the original Tokico calipers with new seals etc. The caliper pistons have a plastic disc on them which I assume is an attempt to make reduce vibration or something. These plastic discs are knackered and will need to either be removed from the caliper pistons or the pistons will have to be replaced.

I've got a couple of questions on this job.
1) Do I need to replace the pistons if these bits of plastic are knackered?
2) Is there a complete brake caliper rebuild kit available for the front and rear calipers? If so, advice on a suitable retailer would be great.
3) The calipers look like they can be split in two. Is this the recommended way to rebuild them, i.e. split them in two, remove the pistons, seal, etc.?
4) If yes, would I need to install a gasket or sealer between the two halves when re assembling?
5) What are the torque values for the bolts when reassembling the calipers? Would FT (F@ck!ng Tight) be enough?

Thanks.
Chazz.

Suzuki416
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 3 x NC35, 3x NC24, NC29, RC46
Re: H1 Caliper Rebuild

Post by Suzuki416 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:52 pm

chazzmanbm
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: H1 Caliper Rebuild