Site HomeAbout 400GreyBikeBuyers GuidesDocument LibraryIt is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:30 pm

VFR400s in Atlanta USA!

New members may care to make their first post here to introduce themselves. show us your bike, where you live etc etc. its also polite to get the drinks in too.
  • Author

decngb

Settled in member

VFR400s in Atlanta USA!

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 3:34 pm

I'm new to the forum, but recently acquired two VFR400s - an NC21 and an NC30. They were seperate purchases, but both from Canada (Japan originally). The NC21 was a bit of a basket case and didn't run - no spark, gummed carbs, leaky fuel tap, missing speedo drive & cable, missing muffler, missing rear brake, and many loose nuts & bolts. I'm nearly an expert at Honda V4 carbs having owned and worked on a couple VF700S, VF500F, and VF1100C. The NC21 was no different, if a bit smaller. Most of the major parts have been acquired from UK eBay or Japan (muffler). Thanks to a thread on here, I found the translated wiring diagram and jumpered the kill switch - spark acquired! I tried to fix the kill switch, but failed. Meanwhile, I moved the "jumper" to inside the kill switch, so now the bike shuts off via the key. I have a "new" kill switch from a Sabre that should fit, but I need to get the soldering iron out to move it to the VFR's housing.

We've now rode the NC21 around quite a bit. It does seem to leak fuel past the float valves and into the cylinders, so the carbs are off again and I polised the valve seats. Meanwhile, I cleaned up the choke system and made the mistake of removing the mixture screws. Upon reassembly, one of the mixture o-rings got pushed through a bit and removal was a pain. We ended up using the threaded end of a bicycle spoke, twisting it like a bolt until the o-ring got wrapped around it to pull it out. Now I'm waiting on a carb rebuild kit anyways!

The NC30 was quite a bit more expensive, but at least it runs and is mostly complete. It does have aftermarket fairings that aren't brand new any more and a bit mismatched. I'll probably get a new set eventually. It has a Brembo front brake master cylinder, but the stock calipers. I'll be looking for a reasonable replacements for the Brembo stuff as it just looks oversized to me, and I can't imagine it adds anything to stock calipers. On our first short ride with this bike, it was leaking a lot of coolant near the radiator cap. Back to the garage, it is confirmed the leak is from the side of the cap, so a new one is on order.

Riding the NC21 back-to-back with the NC30 is interesting. Of course they sound dramatically different. Our NC21 has the stock muffler and the NC30 has a stubby thing that probably doesn't pass for a muffler anywhere. I'm well into my 40's, so I found the position of the bars on the NC21 more comfortable. The pegs feel like they are in the same place. Right now, the NC21 feels like a more civilized ride, but I do have a bit more time on that seat, and the mean roar of the NC30 might be affecting my impression too much.

Now that Photobucket sucks, how is everyone posting images on this site?

Based on the owner's map, I see there is another owner in the Atlanta area. Anyone else in the southeast USA? My intention is to ride these things in the north Georgia mountains and eastern Tennessee - Cherehola Skyway, Deal's Gap, etc. I'd love to see another VFR400 or two in the area!

F1ngers

Settled in member

• Bike owned: RVF400RR (1994), CBR600F (98)

Re: VFR400s in Atlanta USA!

PostSun Nov 26, 2017 3:24 pm

Blimey, I thought I had a lot to get on with! Good luck bud and welcome, I have only just joined also, finding the forum like a labyrinth of wise old answers, the art is knowing how to dig it all out!!!

Btw...if I win the lottery, would join you for the ride....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fourfingers

NWAA Supporter

NWAA Supporter

• Bike owned: NC30RK,NC35RR

PostFri Dec 01, 2017 3:31 am

Welcome aboard.
Since you are in the States , you should definitely check out a fellow forum members site, Mike Norman, based in CA. http://mngforce.typepad.com/nc450vdev/
About posting images, you can do it over flickr or any other that allows you to embed code.
Cheers

decngb

Settled in member

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 3:24 pm

Now that I got Imgur set up...

Here is the pair of bikes right after both were first filled with gas. Close inspection will reveal one of the side fairings is mis-matched on the NC30.

This is the NC21 a bit later. That bike is for my son, and he decided he wanted the NC24-style seats. The bike came with the extra rear fairing piece, but we have the seats on their way from the UK and Germany. The front will need to be recovered, but the rear looks perfect in the eBay photos.

Meanwhile I got the replacement radiator cap for the NC30, and took it out for a 65 mile ride. It feels great! It is quite loud with the race can on it, and the exhaust pipes are in bad shape where the front attaches to the rest of the pipes. I prefer stock components, so I ordered a full exhaust system from a Japan seller - in fact, the same seller who sent me the near-perfect can you see on our NC21.

Return to New Members Introductions