Site HomeAbout 400GreyBikeBuyers GuidesDocument LibraryIt is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:02 am

Hey Hey from the USA!

New members may care to make their first post here to introduce themselves. show us your bike, where you live etc etc. its also polite to get the drinks in too.
  • Author

NISxMO

Settled in member

Hey Hey from the USA!

PostThu Jul 13, 2017 1:25 pm

Good Morning (or afternoon for some) everyone!

Recently joined this forum to gather information on 400 ownership. Though I'm just beginning to dive into the forums, I figured it was best to introduce myself first. Long story short I live in GA, purchased my first bike brand new at age 16 (06 Honda 599/hornet) which I still have to this day though is now a completely different bike, and more recently went through a third gen, then a fourth gen VFR750. I have always been a fan of VFRs as I do a lot of long distance riding and have been a Honda supporter since the day I discovered motorcycles.

With that being said I have always had a knackering for smaller vehicles both with cars and motorcycles. I live by the motto that its better to drive a slow vehicle fast than a fast vehicle slow and prefer objects that are low weight over high power. I also live in a town consisting of all square blocks and like to rip around town on something smaller as well. Its simply easier and more fun to navigate. Recently due to the new year I have been able to find imported 400's (obviously looking at the vfr) albeit pulling in a pretty penny anywhere from $6,500-$9,000. My fear is with that kind of cash you can buy a whole slew of motorcycles various ages, sizes, etc. Being that none of these imports are even within a two state traveling distance I was hoping to get some feedback from some owners. Obviously overseas you can find these bikes at a fraction of the cost to which I say "shut up and take my money." Being three times the amount here but having a deep desire for an RC30 look alike (pockets dont carry the $40,000 for the real deal) would I be wrong or disappointed in pulling the trigger on an NC30? Any help, opinions, thoughts, general comments, or forum flaming is always welcome and openly accepted :grin:

I hope to learn a lot more about these bikes in the days to come and I appreciate all comments given! See below for my current bikes!

Gimly56

• Bike owned: NC29 CBR400RR

Re: Hey Hey from the USA!

PostSat Jul 15, 2017 12:57 pm

You should totally buy a Honda 400!! Any of the 400s are great. NC23,NC29,NC30....RVF400....the list goes on.

JZH

Site Supporter

Site Supporter

• Bike owned: RSCBRRVFVFRST

PostSat Jul 15, 2017 3:31 pm

Will you fit on an NC30? They're a lot less roomy than a VFR750... Assuming so, they are jewel-like and quite different than "regular" production bikes. Not quite handbuilt-by-HRC RC30 quality, but solid Honda and the 360-degree crank combined with the gear-driven cams gives the NC30 a rather unique engine sound (which really needs an aftermarket exhaust to get the best of).

Good luck!

Ciao,
JZH

London, UK/So.Cal., USA
www.vsource.org

NISxMO

Settled in member

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 1:27 pm

The term "fitting" may need to be applied very loosely as sometimes I feel I barely fit on the 750. I'm 6'0 with a 33" inseam. Not sure how well Ill squeeze into it but it would only be used for around town jaunts. As far as build quality, I may be wrong but I recently read in one of my Honda books that the 400's bound for the UK may have indeed been built on the same production line as the RC30 and reflected the same quality standards. Apparently it was all due to the UK exported bikes soley being built and exported for racing the TT/road courses.

Who knows? Thanks for the input though guys! The engine qualities listed above are what excites me the most about the bike.

kit352

Settled in member

• Bike owned: gk71f

PostWed Jul 19, 2017 8:49 pm

Welcome. Im a yankee too from boston but im living in london now.

Your right to pick a 400 as a fun small bike. One of the first things i bought here was an nsr125 and a gsxr 400. They are so much on these tight twisty roads, they would be even better in the US without the constant worry of speed cameras and the such.

Importing bikes can get expensive, thats why they go for so much in the states. Ive started exporting to the US as a side business but have been concentrating on cars though i did look at bikes. There are a lot of variables that can really add up in the end.

JZH

Site Supporter

Site Supporter

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 1:24 pm

Interesting. I've sometimes thought that I might do the same if I were ever to move back to California (I've been away 20+ years), and while many "interesting" bikes (including the NC30 and NC35) do have import codes, becoming an RI has always seemed quite an involved (and expensive) proposition. I've never found anyone who could/would handle the import of my "collection", so I would have to do it myself or have to forget about bringing them over. But in theory, bikes should be easier than cars? Plenty of bikes have been "grey imported", but not legally, AFAIK...

Ciao,
JZH

London, UK/So.Cal., USA
www.vsource.org

kit352

Settled in member

• Bike owned: gk71f

PostSat Aug 12, 2017 1:02 pm

Importing is easy, especially if they are old enough. Odd ball newer bikes could have the codes your looking for if someone in the past was really determined to blaze the trail for it.
To be honest its easier to move a collection rather than a single unit really. Just get a container and load them all up plus whatever else you want like spares and personal items. Customs will process everything at once. The shipping charges are greatly reduced as well.

JZH

Site Supporter

Site Supporter

PostWed Aug 30, 2017 8:06 pm

I always forget about the 25-year rule... Yes, that goes up to 1992 now--my NC29 and one of the NC30s would sail right in!

Ciao,
JZH

London, UK/So.Cal., USA
www.vsource.org

Return to New Members Introductions