FZR Nothing happening

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
nicko
Settled in member
Reactions:
FZR Nothing happening

Post by nicko » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:26 am

Hi, Im new here, I wonder if anyone can help, my FZR400 exup is completely dead i think I might have caused a short somewhere I heard a "crack" whilst fitting a new battery, Ive checked the fuses in the holder and they are ok, am I missing a fuse somewhere, or is it somethinhg else? Any help would be most welcome, cause if it doesnt run its scrap metal!

Taggyd
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: fzr 400 3tj x 2, cbr900rrs
Re: FZR Nothing happening

Post by Taggyd » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:35 pm

ignition switch nackered? you got any melted wires anywhere?

nicko
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by nicko » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:08 pm

Thanks for the reply, cant find anything obvious, I wonder if I`ve knackerd the cdi unit when I shorted out across the battery, or if I`ve missed a fuse in the system somewhere, its doing my head in, be grateful for any more suggestions

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:53 pm

What hapeens when you turn the ignition key to on ???
Could you have tried to connect the battery to the wrong terminals ??

nicko
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by nicko » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:00 am

Nothing happens when I turn the key. Cant hear the fuel pump or the servo, the battery`s fully charged, and connected correctly, its driving me mad : :?

oldgreg
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by oldgreg » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:57 am

Have you checked both sets of fuses?

(Don't know if that drawing is of the same model you have, but the layout might be similar)

Also, check that none of your plugs have any loose / bad connections (i had a similar fault on my 3TJ, the problem ended up being caused by a wire from the ignition to the fusr box which had corroded through at the plug :| )

Other than that, it might be an idea to find someone with electrical experience and persuade them to have a look.

Beers usually help :D

Graeme

nicko
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by nicko » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:28 pm

Ive checked the fuses in the holder, on the left hand side of the bike, which are marked as "charge, ignition, signal & fan" any idea where the "main" fuse might be, it must be hiding somewhere!

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:18 pm

Check the earth is connected first.
Start with the main red wire from the battery and test it at the ignition switch and then check the switch itself. Check the feed coming in and out .... I reckon it's something around there cos everthing's dead.

Morespeedvicar
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Fzr400, NC30, CB50J, SS50Z KLR

Post by Morespeedvicar » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Hiya, have you checked the battery is ok and putting out 12volts i've had a battery die on me when i connected it up? Is there 12 volts at either sides of the fuses?
Cheers
Ian

nicko
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by nicko » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:34 pm

Thanks guys

Ive got her turning over now, Im not really sure what it was, I cleaned a lot of the connectors and made sure they were all located etc, then she came to life, Im going to put the tank back on at the weekend and try to get her running, I will let you know the good news, hopefully, or the bad news,probably.