1wg 1988 FZR400 carb query

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
adibtanah
Settled in member
Reactions:
1wg 1988 FZR400 carb query

Post by adibtanah » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:40 pm

I can't get bike to perform at high revs. It goes fine from low revs to about 10k then justs does not go any further from 4th gear onwards. the bike is not restricted, we dont have those limitations in South Africa. Have replaced manifold rubbers, air filter, fuel filter, plugs, oils etc. The bike is stock and has 48 000km on the dial. It starts perfectly in Winter without using the choke and does not smoke at all. Mechanically it is sound, but I think the carbs need attention. I stripped the carbs today and found that 2 diaphragms have tiny holes in them. The needles have signs of wear on them. The jets look fine. I have orded a carb kit from Factory Pro in the states with emulsion tubes.

- Mikuni 3EN 00 E8212 Carburetor (Markings on the carb)
1. I need to find out where can I get new diaphragms from???
2. The most important question what is the float height using a vernier caliper???
3. How do I remove the emulsion tubes
4. How many turns for the pilot air screws 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 turns out?
I would appreciate help on these 2 topics.

Your help will be much appreciated
Adi B

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2
Re: 1wg 1988 FZR400 carb query

Post by Evilchicken0 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:16 pm

Quickest way to test your carbs is to buy a secondhand set from e-bay or somebody on here. Carbs aren't expensive, expect to pay £20-30 plus postage.

Float heights are set with a u-tube and the carbs in place, but I think it's probably the holes in the diaprams causing your problem

You can get a manual for a 1wg model on the web ... I cant remember the links but somebody on here can probably give you that. You can also get a manual on disc from ebay.

Marb
Thieving Pikey Twat
Thieving Pikey Twat
Reactions:
Re: 1wg 1988 FZR400 carb query

Post by Marb » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:02 pm

http://www.fzrmanuals.nl/FZR400/FZR400A ... manual.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;