RRSP CLUTCH and TIMING CHAIN

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
sportspromatt
Settled in member
Reactions:
RRSP CLUTCH and TIMING CHAIN

Post by sportspromatt » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:35 pm

Hey guys, and ladies,

Any idea where to purchase a new clutch for a 3tj rrsp. I have read its different to a standard 3tj clutch.

Its a 1992 rrsp, problem is roughly 30 mins into a run, if you drop it a cog, clutch slips, revs go to the ceiling, and i am no longer propelled in forward motion, well enough in relation to the power produced, if you know what i mean. It doesnt happen all the time, and seams to fix itself once propper toasty, ie a longer ride.
But is slightly scarey overtaking!

It had been mine for 18yrs now, so i dont mind treating it, it could be well overdue.

Also noticed slight noise when started from cold, once warm it gets quieter, are timing chains available? Again where?

I am capable, have the manual, but as always any tips and advice are very welcome!
I havnt done it before, so im learner

Btw, where is everyone, extinct, dead, or just on facebook!

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2
Re: RRSP CLUTCH and TIMING CHAIN

Post by Evilchicken0 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:14 pm

ahhh fuck

just wrote the whole thing then lost it.

How are you ??? long time huh - get a Thundercat manual it will tell you steps. Use an EBC SRK complete clutch kit, it's a kevlar kit - count the number of plates it should have 9 (?) plates, steels, and springs too. Get a clutch cover gasket too.
Soak the wearing plates in engine oil overnight.
When you take the cover off find the dot on the center boss and mark it with tippex or nail varnish. mark the outer clutch basket either side of the dot. Take the boss off and mark the arrow on the center basket.
Take out the plate and replace them with new in the same order wearing / steel / wearing etc. the steels are either rounded or sharp edges they go in with either sharp or rounded all the same way round. Tourque the bolts "properly" not by hand. put the cover on and reset the clutch under the rubber bung in the front sproket cover and at the lever.

Check it works

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:15 pm

Timing chain ... you can get a soft link chain from wemoto
you might want a garage to do this

sportspromatt
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by sportspromatt » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:56 pm

Cheers man, yeh seen the ebc kits, its full kit then,
Might get the clutch sorted first then, but have rebuilt a r6 engine recently, so should be okish on the chain, any guides fitted these fzr motors!

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:28 am

Guides ... one at the front one at the back (loaded by the chain tensioner). You should be ok with the cams out, cut the cam chain attach the new one and turn the crank. I'd get somebody to help so you can hold both ends keeping some tension so it feeds cleanly on the crank gear.

Check your chain tensioner first though it might have failed or seized.