Bent 3EN2 forks...replace or do a front end swap?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Speedbird110
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: Yamaha FZR400 1989 3EN2
Bent 3EN2 forks...replace or do a front end swap?

Post by Speedbird110 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:15 am

Hello my dudes,

Crashed my Yamaha FZR400 1989 3EN2 in feb, and both forks had a slight kink in the stauncheans. Ive struggled to find 3EN2 forks for a replacement. Anyone know of or where i can get any 41mm 3en2 forks? Or could i swap out forks of another bike without doing any machining? If not what are easy front end swaps compatible with the 3EN2 i could just bang on? i dont wanna downgrade to a 38mm 3EN1 fork cause i wanna keep it as original as possible and worry 3mm less will cause slight change in handling. Any help/flak appreciated, cheers :)

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2
Re: Bent 3EN2 forks...replace or do a front end swap?

Post by Evilchicken0 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:10 pm

Well, you know the fork diameters :)
You can replace the front end with a FZR600R Foxeye or Thundercat front end, use the triple clamps, forks, wheel, spindle and mudguard ... either should bolt in.
You could think about the R6 right way up front end too .... it should bolt in but can't swear to it.

Both these will use the wider 3.5" wheel with a 120 profile tyre a little wider than standard, you might not feel any difference.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:14 pm

Robotnik
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 2x3tj xs650

Post by Robotnik » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:50 pm

Speedbird110 wrote:Hello my dudes,

Crashed my Yamaha FZR400 1989 3EN2 in feb, and both forks had a slight kink in the stauncheans. Ive struggled to find 3EN2 forks for a replacement. Anyone know of or where i can get any 41mm 3en2 forks? Or could i swap out forks of another bike without doing any machining? If not what are easy front end swaps compatible with the 3EN2 i could just bang on? i dont wanna downgrade to a 38mm 3EN1 fork cause i wanna keep it as original as possible and worry 3mm less will cause slight change in handling. Any help/flak appreciated, cheers :)
Bad news, hope you're all OK man and not too knocked about.

Speedbird110
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Speedbird110 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:48 am

Thanks for the replies-i REALLY appreciate the advice. Ive contacted the seller, waiting for a reply. Will the 3en2 callipers fit onto the foxeye discs fine? or will i need new brake callipers? I assume i should swap out EVERYTHING including the stem?

Also-will i need a 600 speedo and speedometer cable and the speedometer speedo drive? or will my original fzr400 speedo drive clip right onto the wheel and be compatible too?

I crashed in feb, couldnt walk without crutches for a week, but i stuck to a wheelchair cause that didnt hurt at all. So i think i got off lucky, i just hope i have leant a lesson, or at least something :)

Cheers guys

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:51 pm

Ouch - hope you're healed up and not too shocked by it. Take it steady for a while until you regain you're confidence.
You might need the speedo drive, I think the spindle is a larger diameter. Keep the original speedo because there's a restriction in the cdi that relies on a signal from the speedo.
The calipers will bolt on and the steering stem sold be Ok too but these are 41mm dia same as your 3en2 so you can use the original clamps

buzzawak
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by buzzawak » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:03 am

A while back I bought some forks off Ebay. Unfortunately, they had a slight bend in them. (The seller was great and refunded the money). I found it was actually reasonably priced to have them straightened and re-chromed.

Speedbird110
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Speedbird110 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:32 am

Take a look at this please and tell me if u rekon itll fit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-Yamaha-YZF ... 3128810428

the guy u linked me to was about to ship me the whole front end but it seems hes too lazy to ship to where i live in NZ...says itll be well around 100-250 pounds shipping :\

If you see anything compatible please give me a shout :)

Ill try keep my eyes peeled too

Thank you very much for the invaluable help so far

Regards

Dom

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:35 pm

The forks in your link look like they're foxeye - I followed the sellers link and look at the other parts from the bike, so yes they should be ok, but in the description he says the seals need replacing.

I didn't realise you were in NZ - the postage from the UK would be high, make sure you know the import tax as well and consider that in the purchase

Speedbird110
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Speedbird110 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:37 am

Hello again,

Im pretty sure this listing is most of what ill need. What do you guys rekon? better than the shipping on the one Evilchicken listed me, the seller seems really lazy and wont try to find shipping below 380 pounds :\ Not worth it but this guy in the states has a pretty reasonable shipping estimate. Still think it should all bolt in okay? My only worry is the spindle and speedo-i assume a 400 wheel will not fit without spacers.

Bear with me-Im pretty noob with bike maintenance and im thick as pig poo :)

Cheers guys