Bike died, wouldn't start but rev counter went up?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Clanky
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR 400 3EN1, FZR 600 3HE
Bike died, wouldn't start but rev counter went up?

Post by Clanky » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:30 am

Hi,

Rode about 7 miles and nearly home the engine just slowly lost power and stalled. It was night time so the lights were on and it had a fresh tank of fuel earlier that evening. I'd driven a different route on 30-40 mph roads because the M-Way was closed. At lower speeds 10-20 mph I noticed it felt quite boggy and thought it may be dirty carbs.

When it died the headlights stayed very bright but the gauge back lights and neutral light were very dim. The battery is fairly new and I'm sure it is fine.

When trying to start it I heard a rapid clicking like a solenoid but no cranking and weirdly the rev counter rose up to about 2k rpm while I was holding the starter switch in :!:

Checked the main fuses and tried starting in first and neutral with clutch in and out but no joy. Bump started it in second gear and it started up without any hesitation. Too late to look at it tonight so I'll try tomorrow.

Any ideas why the rev gauge would rise when holding the starter button in but no cranking go on at all?

giller72
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Bike died, wouldn't start but rev counter went up?

Post by giller72 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:03 am

Hi,
Only an educated guess, from looking at a wiring diagram, but here goes.....

If the tacho feed comes from the ECU (which it does on a 3tj) then the tacho isn't really reading the engine speed, it's reading the rate at which the electrical pulses are fed to the coils. If you pressed the starter and the engine didn't turn over but the spark plugs still sparked I can see a possibility that the tacho would read

Probably wrong but it's a possibility :smile:

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:38 pm

Check the reg rec. If it stops charging the battery you won't get a spark and the bike stalls. After 5 mins the bike will start again because the battery will recover a bit.

or

There's a false earth or possibly a loose earth. There should be a cable that grounds the engine on the back of the gearbox, it should ground to the frame and the battery negative

Clanky
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR 400 3EN1, FZR 600 3HE

Post by Clanky » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:06 pm

Thanks for the replies guys :peace:

Evil hit the nail on the head, VR had died and the battery charge was low (11.7 volts after resting overnight). I have just fitted a new VR (a later type off an FZR600) so should be good now. Going to get the battery charged up then check all the readings using this guide:

http://fzronline.com/wiki/doku.php?id=r ... conversion

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:52 pm

The original type reg rec is ok for the bike, I know the R6 is the newer design though.