fzr600rrsp

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Purpletoddy
Settled in member
Reactions:
fzr600rrsp

Post by Purpletoddy » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:07 pm

Well my first real "project" related post on here so bare with me...

I bought a job lot of fzr400 parts most of which were rrsp. So I made a rolling chassis out of the rrsp swingarm, shock and forks etc. The motor was junk so that was stripped and parts sold on.

Its a UK 4DX frame and not a genuine RRSP hence I have went in a non 400 direction.

Next I found a thundercat

So you get the direction I went.

Motor fitted in the frame quite easy but the chain alignment was 5mm off as the cat motor output shaft is longer. I cut the lower R/H mount off and made some spacers to get the chain alignment spot on. Mount was then welded back on and the engine in its new home.

I have used the cat loom, rad, headers etc.

The exhaust was an easy modification as a small cut bend a re-weld was all that was needed and it linked up with the 400 rear link pipe etc.

So I have the engine running and stuck the fairings on for a quick "ta da" moment

Im getting there but finding im having to do a few mods as I go along that crop up. Need to sort out the airbox a bit better as Ive raised the tank a bit but still not enough....back to the drawing board on that one.

I have just got the reg number etc for it so the next plan is to get it road legal.

I may paint it or leave as is......time will tell

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2
Re: fzr600rrsp

Post by Evilchicken0 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:07 pm

Looking good so far. I thought the chain would line up though, the gearboxes being common and all ? Maybe Yam spaced it due to the wider rear wheel

1966baz
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by 1966baz » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:46 pm

Gonna be a stonker. I 've done the same with a 3tj frame and the sprockets lined up ok . It handles very close to my standard 3tj but of course has the extra 30 horse power. Enjoy it mate.

Purpletoddy
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Purpletoddy » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:56 pm

Evilchicken0 wrote:Looking good so far. I thought the chain would line up though, the gearboxes being common and all ? Maybe Yam spaced it due to the wider rear wheel
That's what I thought but I checked with via laser alignment and it was certainly off hence the frame mods at the back end to get it right. It's the output shaft it's longer for some reason. Could have reduced sprocket spacer width and got round it that way but couldn't get it out lol

Got the airbox mods complete earlier and now fits decent although I have raised the tank at the front approx 1 inch but still looks good akin to the pics.

Took it for a spin up my street and feels good maybe lift the needles a notch or two but I'll leave that for now.

Need to make a clock bracket and ecu holder then fit number plate etc for mot.

I had my Zxr 400 at Cadwell this year maybe take this down next time if I still own it lol.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:28 pm

Sprocket spacer ... ? Is it about 5mm by chance ?
The cdi fits into the top if the mudgard and is held by the mudguard numberplate hanger.

Purpletoddy
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Purpletoddy » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:40 am

Evilchicken0 wrote:Sprocket spacer ... ? Is it about 5mm by chance ?
The cdi fits into the top if the mudgard and is held by the mudguard numberplate hanger.
Ha ha no the front sprocket spacer that fits into the output shaft seal is much wider than 5mm. My thinking was remove it machine it down by 5mm then space out the nut side but I went the frame mod route and it's worked a treat.

My terminology was wrong in above post with reference to the Cdi unit. I'm using the full thundercat loom etc, the cat ecu is the part I mean. It's got three large plugs that go into it and the loom kinda dictates that at sits above the fuel pump and under the tank region. No way it would reach to the undertray and besides the undertray is fzr400 not thundercat. If I were using the 400 loom or earlier 600 fzr stuff then I think you would be correct.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:30 pm

It's easier to use the fzr600r foxeye cdi, it doesn't use the TPS on the carbs
What's the frame mod route ?

Purpletoddy
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Purpletoddy » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:40 pm

Evilchicken0 wrote:It's easier to use the fzr600r foxeye cdi, it doesn't use the TPS on the carbs
What's the frame mod route ?
I bought a full thundercat bike mate so I used the full loom and all electrics. I have kept the tps and used the thundercat carbs.

Don't see the point in buying another Cdi unit and modifying the loom when I have a perfectly good loom to plug and play.

I cut the lower right engine mount off and moved the engine 5mm over in the frame to get chain alignment spot on. Mount was then welded back on and engine sits perfectly in the frame. I had to machine the barrel mounts down and make adapted plates but nothing too difficult.

I've done a fair few engine transplants over the years with various bikes off road and road and this is one of the easiest conversions to do.

icklepob
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by icklepob » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:24 pm

This wonderful toy belongs to me now, and can't wait to get it out on track

icklepob
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by icklepob » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:30 pm

And on looking through the paperwork that came with it, the thundercat donor bike has full service history, mostly carried out by Miss Jenny Tinmouth when she was still at Bill Smith Motorcycles in chester