How to fit the 600 into the 3tj

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: How to fit the 600 into the 3tj

Post by hunter » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:17 pm

Fack.Fack!!!!

Pab10
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Pab10 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:41 am

Kayla850 wrote:
Evilchicken0 wrote: Anyhoo, this is the plate I've come up with-

The bottom holes will be tapped for the correct thread (M10x1.25).

:grin:
Hi Kayla, Are you still making these steel plates?

Regards.

hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by hunter » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:45 am

http://www.projection-racing.com/
Look in yamaha parts.

Purpletoddy
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Purpletoddy » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:01 am

Just for info really but I have personally done two TC 600 conversions one into a UK 4DX frame and the other into a 3TJ frame.

On both of these bikes the TC motor will fit in with the standard modifications but the chain alignment is 5 mm off via laser alignment check. And before you ask yes the rear wheel alignment was spot on.

The reason for the above is due to the output shaft on the TC motor being longer for what ever reason, I did look at machining the output shaft spacer down but I couldn't get it out and this moves the chain closer to the cases which Im not a fan of.

no doubt if I persevered or split the cases I could have got the spacer out but that was not on the cards to be honest.

So on both bikes I have removed the lower right hand mount and moved the motor over 5 mm, made spacers etc and then welded the lower mount back on.

I can not see how anyone has managed to do a TC conversion into any of the above frames without the chain being out of alignment, it may be fine but I personally would not like to take the chance.

Just a word of caution as these are a simple conversion really but there is more to it

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:16 pm

Interesting .... I wonder if it's down to the T'Cat having a wider wheel. I know the tyres are the same size but the 3TJ is a 4.5" wheel to the T'Cat's 5"

Might be quicker to space the rear sprocket

Purpletoddy
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Purpletoddy » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:17 pm

Evilchicken0 wrote:Interesting .... I wonder if it's down to the T'Cat having a wider wheel. I know the tyres are the same size but the 3TJ is a 4.5" wheel to the T'Cat's 5"

Might be quicker to space the rear sprocket
You may be right regarding the rear rim width its really the only explanation.

I did look at spacing out the rear sprocket but the way the carrier had a machined land to secure the sprocket as well as the nuts I didn't want to take it away from OEM, and due to it being a track bike I wanted wheels to swap over without modifying a few rear cush drives. That would have been the easy way out to be honest and have taken ten minutes on the lathe.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:07 pm

I'd have thought racers would have a few sprocket carriers to speed up sprocket changes.

Changing the output shaft, as you say would be a complete engine strip, unless you leave out those bolts accessed under the barrels

giller72
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by giller72 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:05 pm

Just to add a spanner in the works!

I'm building a 400/600 racebike with a thundercat engine in a 3tj frame. I was fully expecting the rear sprocket to be out of alignment with the front and even drew up plans to make a 6mm spacer for the rear sprocket and new studs. However after checking the alignment with a laser I found the sprockets to be perfectly in line.

I can't understand why some thundercat conversions cause a misalignment of sprockets and other don't. I'm tempted to think I have measured/ installed something incorrectly but I can't obviously see anything I have done being incorrect?

I'm just posting out of interest really as I have found all the info in here useful

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:09 pm

Oh dear the sprockets line up ... you must be devestated :grin: :grin: :grin:

hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions: