How to fit the 600 into the 3tj

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
cagiva996
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 2 FZR4/6,FZS600,YZFR1
Re: How to fit the 600 into the 3tj

Post by cagiva996 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:09 pm

i must admit i am abit gangly on the 400 and do look a wee bit silly on it but i do find it really comfy and it seems to fit me really well beleive it or not.my long legs make getting me knees down easy though!!you were going really well at brands and hope you can get a full season in next year-the thunderbike championship was won by 400 a couple of years ago with a zxr400 so it can be done.keep us posted on the big bore 400s progress coz it seems an extremely interesting project thats bang on in the spirit of thunderbikes,its a proper engineering class with some very quick riders and very interesting bikes.

Thunderbike_steve
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Thunderbike_steve » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:46 pm

Well i'm not good enough to win on a 400 :( but i think with the 727cc motor i'll have the torque to match the bigger bikes off the bends and destroy them in the corners. It's funny though as my bike has cost me less that £2k to build and the Virus from PB had a huge budget.

I'm also going to try and lift the bike to help weight transfer and give more ground clearence since i nearly had a huge off at cadwell when i decked it out, r6 forks and longer shock me thinks!

I think someone should do a 660 hybrid, really easy old fzr600 bottom end and stick the thundercat top end on ;)

cagiva996
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 2 FZR4/6,FZS600,YZFR1

Post by cagiva996 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:02 pm

you can do it!!the fz you were chasing at brands managed to win at oulton and beat all the big budget teams and that was built in 1985!! you gotta beleive,you were faster than most in the twisty bits and with some drive off the turns who knows!!!!!!

fzrtim
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400 FZRhybrid FZR600 RSV1k

Post by fzrtim » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:16 am

Is evil god??? I was at brands SBK looking at a bike and guess who just appeared on it?? Mr chicken himself. Im sure he wasnt when i was first looking........
Im interested in doing the 660 conversion. Will the 3he crank fit into the 4jh or do you have to use the 3he crankcases ect. I have an old 3he (actually its newer than the 400) and could even put the top end on that as well.
Sounds like 2 more projects to do!

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:02 pm

Is evil god???
You'll all know when I'm omnipresent telepath .... 8-)

bigdavygravy
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400/600 Kawasaki KX85

Post by bigdavygravy » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:26 am

Hiya mate,
Im still having problems with this wiring situation. I have managed to get cdi and loom from 4jh, below is what I have. It could be me just being a bit thick but cant seem to get it to work, although it does turn over which I suppose is a start.

8 pin plug
green/white
green/yellow
blue/red
blue/black
yellow/black
red/white
white/red
black/blue

6pin plug
red/white
grey
orange
black

400 loom
blue/white
white/black
red/white
grey
orange
black

cant seem to be ble to find black/blue yellow/black or
2 x green on the loom, where will they be?

Dave

plodder
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by plodder » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:39 pm

I've had my 4/6 out for a test run today. Not bad but it's on the original 19/55 gearing, which is far too tall. Better off in 5th rather than top. Didn't want to push it either as it was freezing out there and the front sprocket's hooked more than I would like.

Which reference codes are the sprockets for the 520 conversion and how many links of chain. Can you get a larger rear sprocket to fit the wheel? I did some gearing calculations with the 4JH engine and for 14/45, the 6th gear speed at 13000 rpm is 162mph, which I think is still a bit tall and maybe another tooth or 2 on the back would make it a bit livelier (although maybe it's better not to run it too low or I'll be up & down the box too much).

My bike also seemed to struggle a bit at the top end. I'm running standard 4JH loom & carbs (onto which someone has engraved "Dynojet", so maybe they've had a stage 1), and a modified 3TJ airbox like Tims (with a new filter), Thundercat Delvelic headers, 1000EXUP link pipe and the 3TJ aftermarket can (baffle out). This motor/carbs has been stood for ages and seemed to get better as the test ride went on but didn't really feel right above about 8000-9000 RPM. I did all of the valve shims, put new spark pugs in and cleaned out the carbs before I put the engine in. It needed a lot of choke to get it going this morning (although it was very cold).

Anyone know what top speed to expect on one of these conversions?

Maybe the only way to find out what's happening is to put it on the dyno. Where's cheap around Stockport for a basic run and gas test?

fzrtim
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400 FZRhybrid FZR600 RSV1k

Post by fzrtim » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:09 am

I recently had my bike on the dyno. It was kicking out 87bhp at the back wheel, with the engine in totally standard fettle, the only engine mods were k&n filter and race can.
When the bike was on the dyno it was doing 150-155 in 5th with 14 /45 sprockets, so I think the calculation of 162 mph @ 13000 rpm is probably about bang on! It was pointed out to me that it would benifit from more acceleration on the track so i will be putting a 47 rear on. B&C express (01522 791369) do the 520 conversions but you will have to specify the sprockets you need for a 600 motor not a 400 as the 400 520 is a 15/45.
Another thing that became apparent was that the airbox needs as much cold air as possible. On its first runs the engine bogged a bit but with the tank raised it was fine. This wont be a problem as i am making some scoops to send as much air up there as possible.

plodder
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by plodder » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:33 am

I didn't cut away as much material from the carb rubber holes on my airbox as Tim... instead, I just increased the hole size and reshaped the top of the box slightly where it clashed with the tank. I also had a FZR600 3HE air inlet lying around, which I cut down to fit under the tank as it has a larger air scoop. It got cut down a lot in the end and maybe it is causing a restriction. I might be better off turning it round to face front or maybe removing it completely and just holding down the filter with some penny washers or similar. But I've only used it once so these things take a few goes to see what happens.

I could not find a K&N filter to fit the 3TJ airbox when I looked on their website. Tim, have you got a part number for it?

Tim, any chance of scanning your dyno chart and posting it up?

plodder
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by plodder » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:16 pm

Removed the filter cover completely, held the filter in with some temporary bodgery and took it to the test drag strip again. Much better at the top end and top speed up just over 10mph. Still the same with the BSAU baffle put back in the exhaust so maybe more to come if I can get more air to the airbox.

Happy days :D .