engine questions

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Petetheengineer
Settled in member
Reactions:
engine questions

Post by Petetheengineer » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:26 am

hi there just a quick question i have recently aquired 2 fzr engines both from 1wg bikes but one if from exup and the other is not.

What i was wondering, is there any differences in the engine?

I have a exup bike but the exup engine has a broken mount lug so was wondering if the non exup engine could be rebuilt with all the exup parts or if they are the same ill just put the non exup engine straight in.

thanks guys

one other thing i have a ticking noise coming from my engine and was wondering what you guys thought it could be im thinking cam chain or sticky valve anyways any thoughts?

sharpey
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: engine questions

Post by sharpey » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:41 am

on the 1st part not a clue sorry, on the second the ticking noise could well be cam chain adjuster hasnt clicked on to the next tooth properly the way i was taught to check this is take the bolt out of the middle of the adjuster along with the sping get a screw driver or alike down the hole and then start the engine while it is running gently push on the screw driver and if the adjuster is stuck between teeth it should clik it on to the next tooth.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:48 am

I think the difference between the two engines is minimal but there are lots of detail changes. The timing of engine and the cams etc is probably different so the ecu will be too. I don't know about things like crnk shaft stroke sizes and centers etc as I'm assuming your looking to build the 3en top end onto the genisis bottom end.

Is this a mount to the lower front of the engine .... ??? You might find it easier to get it welded up.

Petetheengineer
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Petetheengineer » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:10 am

no its the rear top mount and its a little suspect wether it can be welded or not i am a welder and well it would need to have alot of material added then would need a lot of work to finish.

I was thinking that the cams would be different due to the exup system but my plan no looks to be completely stripping the exup motor down rebuilding using the non exup cases.
Thanks for the info regarding the ticking noise i will give that a try.
My current engine is burning a bit of oil and juming out of 2nd gear so probably best to just do a rebuild and use the gearbox from my spare engines.

Marb
Thieving Pikey Twat
Thieving Pikey Twat
Reactions:

Post by Marb » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:38 pm

All the non-3TJ 400 cases are 100% identical. The non-exup 400'es have slightly different cams and timing, and you can't use a non-400 cdi on an exup 400. But you can use a exup cdi on a non-exup. The tik in the engine can ben alotta things. If it's at half the speed of the rpm then its the timing chain/valves. If it is at the same speed as the rpm then its a bigend bearing. if you dont hear it with the clutch pulled in and the engine ideling then its some thing with the clutch/gearbox.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:18 pm

I guess if your happy to rebuild the engine then you'll be ok, if not then either run the bike with the non exup engine or maybe throw a 600 in the frame ... there seems to be a lot of that at the moment ;)

Petetheengineer
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Petetheengineer » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:55 pm

yea im going to rebuild the engine as it seems like the easiest option.
as you say fitting the 600 engine would be an original idea LOL.

thanks for all the input much appreciated