Six Hundred and Sixty

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2
Six Hundred and Sixty

Post by Evilchicken0 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:00 pm

Background.

Firstly this follows on from Thunderbike Steve's thread on here a couple of years agao and his nod towards a thread on the FZR Achives site. I read about this conversion in Performance Bikes a long long time ago but I'd forgotten most of it, so thanks to Steve.

I bought a 600 4JH quite a while back (a couple of years) off Das Bay, then reading Steves 720 thread I also got a 3HE crank but with the Bimota taking a lot of time it just sat there. When I got the Bim's engine finally sorted ... it folded a valve and I had to start again.

Image Image

worth the hassle though

Image Image Image

Since then I started a course (Motorcycle Mechanics Level 2) at Lambeth College. Then came the 400/4 I finished that and had a buyer ready but the head leaked oil so with the confidence from the course I changed the head gasket, static timed the engine and set the vavles, so it sold.

So with no more excuses I got the 4JH down to college and started to rip it down a bit. This was supposed to be a quickie job but then I though ... why not clean up the head casting a bit. Of course I forgot the camera so the before shots are a bit scant.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: Six Hundred and Sixty

Post by Evilchicken0 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:16 pm

You see I'd started smoothing out the head in the last pic ... that contiued for another 6 hours. The other guys laughed cos all they hear was a wizzzzzzzz of the dremel (which is really a mini tool ;) ) Oval holes are inlets round holes are exhaust.

Image Image Image

I got that finished on a Tuesday night and got it and the barrels home late that night. Got up early Wednesday to get them to an engineering company (Motortech in Dulwich) before work. They skimmed the head and barrels, and I picked them up again on the Thursday and back to college for the evening.

Image Image

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:36 pm

So this is where I heard about the FZS600 rods being a fit for the 660 conversion. Remember I already had the 3HE crank so I scooted over the Achives site and printed off the thread, I read it a couple of times travelling to / from work and of course college. That ended up in a buy it now FZS crank and rods.

So now I had to get the engine broken right down - it took a bit of doing but now it really is in bits. Anyway here's the meat of the thing 3 cranks from the top 4JH / FZS / 3HE

Notice the machining on the left ends - this is the generator end. The main seal internal diameter is the wrong size for the 3HE crank

So that was about as far as I got before being interupted by getting married, honeymoon, and college closing for the week. I did manage to get the crank home with the rods, pistons, starter clutch to be sent off to Basset Down Balancing - they lightend and balanced it and I got it back today.

Image Image

So that's me up to date, the next college lesson is on Tuesday evening we'll see what I can get done.

NeoN
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by NeoN » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:49 pm

Do you have a before and after for the weights?

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:56 pm

Not really - I had to get the crank home and then sent out the next day. I had to meet my father coming in from Germany for my wedding so it was all a bit rushed. At a rough gess though .... 1/2 kg ???
This isn't a race tune remember I want the pick-up to be better but not bog down at low revs. Not that I know how the engine feels anyway.
The balancing will help at higher revs, although I'm really sure where the red line should be, I guess I'll with the 3HE's and go from there.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:00 pm

So I got to college this evening and took a couple of pics

This is what the fuss is about - Fazer rod

I cleaned up the pistons before they were ballanced

The 3HE (left) and Fazer (right) crank ends. The 3HE is slightly shorter than the later one.

3HE (left) and 4JH (right) - I need to know about the crank end seal. The 4JH looks like it's a wider seal than the 3HE ... I need to know if I can fit the 3HE into the crankcases.

The good news - after measuring the crank and rod journals they are give or take 0.01mm the same so I can use the existing shells.

CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9

Post by CMSMJ1 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:04 pm

This is going to be cool.

I do like how Yamahas are like Lego bikes - they all kind of fit together!
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:41 pm

Suzuki's too 8-)

Kayla850
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Sunn Tzar S2

Post by Kayla850 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:02 am

CMSMJ1 wrote:This is going to be cool.

I do like how Yamahas are like Lego bikes - they all kind of fit together!
Yep! We've got an SZR frame with an SRX engine, 3TJ front end and TRX rear on the lift at the minute... :lol:

This is looking really cool Boris :grin:
Useful project bike parts and stuff and things-

www.projection-racing.com

Titanium and Aluminium nuts & bolts-

www.pjcfasteners.com

Alex.
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Alex. » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:51 am

Evilchicken0 wrote: Image

The 3HE (left) and Fazer (right) crank ends. The 3HE is slightly shorter than the later one.
Looking at those tapers, the 3HE looks to be the fatter. Could there be enough material to turn the taper down to match the 5DM?
I still want to use the 4JH electrics, but will not be starting until the winter...

Alex.