Battery options - small, powerful and gel?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
uniquefzrfreak
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: Harley Sportster 883
Battery options - small, powerful and gel?

Post by uniquefzrfreak » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:57 pm

I've seriously hacked my FZR400 3en2 subframe about to take a 98 r6 seat unit. Now I've got to find some where to cradle a battery. Under the rider seat on it's side with the terminals facing the back of the bike or facing the right hand side of the bike as you ride it is looking like the best plan - although space is limited as the hump on my custom under tray takes some of the space away under the seat/fairing.

Does any have any advice or recommendations on a small gel battery with plenty of power. I'll be going with a set of taylor leads and ignition, I just want to put something small, but with good kick in, so I don't get loads of starting problems or flat batteries after a couple of tries. I don't really know what to look for in term of a base spec, although compact is a must!
- I'd go with a kick start if I had feet like frankenstein and leg muscles like Clarke Kent!

Sadly I've got a face like frankenstein's arse hole and a hair cut like Clarke Kent, neither of which are helping right now. :D

Motorcycle Solutions
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Kawasaki ZX9R E1
Re: Battery options - small, powerful and gel?

Post by Motorcycle Solutions » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:00 pm

yes get hold of a 3tj1 battery holder wich is smaller than a 3en2 and use a ytx9bs battery for it, these come in gel or acid

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:07 am

The normal 3TJ battery is here http://www.mdsbattery.co.uk/shop/produc ... mentID=155

But there's an uprated one they do, it's a Hyabusa one http://www.mdsbattery.co.uk/shop/produc ... oupID=2047

That should kick the thing into life !!!

uniquefzrfreak
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: Harley Sportster 883

Post by uniquefzrfreak » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:13 pm

that's great many thanks. I'll chuck the hayabusa one in, as you say, that should do the job and it's a couple of mm smaller than the 3tj. Do I need to worry about potentially putting a higher spec battery in. i.e will I blow something, or does the bikes electrics simply manage the extra load so things like my cdi and reg/rect etc don't fry?

The link still mentions acid and shows how to fill the battery up to activate it. I assumed a gel battery would just be sealed from the moment you get it. Do you still add acid to a gel unit or has the web site just got the same generic text on all product pages and in this case, its not relevant.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:04 am

check with them if your going to mount it on it's side.
Otherwise match up the charging and ampage for a boat battery or those Red ones in the magazines.

I think the electrics will be finr for the Hyabusa battery, it's still similar amps and volts it's just the cold crank is higher.