Can anyone help me please?? FZR400 1988

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
blondy
Settled in member
Reactions:
Can anyone help me please?? FZR400 1988

Post by blondy » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:08 am

Hello Everyone,

I have just bought my first bike, :D Its a Yamaha FZR400 1988, Im starting my licence soon so have bought this to do up as an incentive to get my licence. Its in good condition came with quite qlot of bits but unfortunatly only has the top seat fairing. Im looking for fairing on ebay but there hasnt been much and what there has been has been way over priced. I was wondering if the 600 of the same year has the same fairing as the 400 so maybe i can find one of them reasonably priced.
I emailed on another Yamaha forum but have had no reply so someone recommended this one.

Can anyone help me please. :?
Thank you
Blondy

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2
Re: Can anyone help me please?? FZR400 1988

Post by Evilchicken0 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:02 am

Yes - but there's a reservation.

You can use the fairing lowers (side panels) from the 600's but as you have probably seen the top fairings are different shapes. If you use the top fairing you might need different lights and fairing frame (the frame that holds the clocks and lights).
You'll also need the mid frame mounts, they're A shaped on the side and mount to the frame lowers by the radiator. These can be hard to find. The small brackets below the footpegs should be available from Yamaha.
You can get genuine parts from Fowlers in Bristol - ring them, but you need to quote your frame number befroe they'll serve you ... it's on the frame and the V5 document.

You might find it easier to get a 600 topfairing, screen and fairing frame (and lights if you need them) get them on the bike and then look to do the rest later.

One final thing if you change the lights to UK spec check the bulb wattage are the same as the Jap ones or you'll need to fit relays to handle the extra power.

PS. you can get a full fairing for £205 (in white) from Sidmarx or a complete aftermarket set from China or Hong Kong on ebay

kaighn80
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by kaighn80 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:48 pm

evil do you think that i could turn them to the dark side?

blondy
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by blondy » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:48 pm

Thanx for the help, very useful to know as i dont know alot being my first bike.. :D
Evilchicken0 wrote:Yes - but there's a reservation.

You can use the fairing lowers (side panels) from the 600's but as you have probably seen the top fairings are different shapes. If you use the top fairing you might need different lights and fairing frame (the frame that holds the clocks and lights).
You'll also need the mid frame mounts, they're A shaped on the side and mount to the frame lowers by the radiator. These can be hard to find. The small brackets below the footpegs should be available from Yamaha.
You can get genuine parts from Fowlers in Bristol - ring them, but you need to quote your frame number befroe they'll serve you ... it's on the frame and the V5 document.

You might find it easier to get a 600 topfairing, screen and fairing frame (and lights if you need them) get them on the bike and then look to do the rest later.

One final thing if you change the lights to UK spec check the bulb wattage are the same as the Jap ones or you'll need to fit relays to handle the extra power.

PS. you can get a full fairing for £205 (in white) from Sidmarx or a complete aftermarket set from China or Hong Kong on ebay