3tj r6 rear end conversion.

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
jeff smith
Settled in member
Reactions:
3tj r6 rear end conversion.

Post by jeff smith » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:08 pm

Hi there forgive me if this is already on the forum but i have a 3tj and am looking into converting the rear end to an 2002 r6 rear end is this reasonably easy to do and what would i need from both bikes to do this? any help would be appreciated.

Kayla850
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Sunn Tzar S2
Re: 3tj r6 rear end conversion.

Post by Kayla850 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:48 am

jeff smith wrote:Hi there forgive me if this is already on the forum but i have a 3tj and am looking into converting the rear end to an 2002 r6 rear end is this reasonably easy to do and what would i need from both bikes to do this? any help would be appreciated.
The R6 arm is wider across the pivot so will need to be narrowed. It's also longer, measured from the pivot to the centre of the wheel adjustment slot so it'll increase the wheelbase by around 30mm. The linkage is quite different too, so there'll be issues there. The R6 arm is a good chunk heavier too.

Personally, and this is my own opinion based on having messed about with stuff that didn't really need to be messed with :lol: , it's a lot of work for zero benefit. Fine if you're nailing a polished ally show bike together, but no use for something that'll get ridden ;)

If it's just the look of a braced arm you want, a YZF750 arm is the same length as the 3TJ arm and will be much simpler to fit as it has the linkage mounts in vaguely the same position and the shocks are around the same length. It will still need to be narrowed across the pivot though and you may run into clearance issues with the standard subframe.

:geek:
Useful project bike parts and stuff and things-

www.projection-racing.com

Titanium and Aluminium nuts & bolts-

www.pjcfasteners.com

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:48 am

Nice one Kayla ....

The same can probably be said for the R6 tail unit :grin: ;) ;) ;)
It's up to you the R6 tail is flat and wide and (imho) doesn't go with the rest of the bike. You'll need to mod a subframe and the new bodywork to suit, there's a gap between the tank and saddle and if you pust the saddle forward the shape's wrong.

The 3TJ doesn't look like a modern bike but then it's not a modern bike. If you want an R6 then put the money from you'd have spent in a jar and by an R6 in a couple of years time, better still spend it on a suspension overhaul.

Kayla850
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Kayla850 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:53 am

Oops! :oops:

The OP meant an R6 tail, not the rear end. My bad. I am a spanner etc... :lol:

www.pjcfasteners.com

Kayla850
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Kayla850 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:55 am

Evilchicken0 wrote:Nice one Kayla ....

The same can probably be said for the R6 tail unit :grin: ;) ;) ;)
It's up to you the R6 tail is flat and wide and (imho) doesn't go with the rest of the bike. You'll need to mod a subframe and the new bodywork to suit, there's a gap between the tank and saddle and if you pust the saddle forward the shape's wrong.

The 3TJ doesn't look like a modern bike but then it's not a modern bike. If you want an R6 then put the money from you'd have spent in a jar and by an R6 in a couple of years time, better still spend it on a suspension overhaul.
The R6 stuff is all wrong for the tiny, ickle, jewel-like 3TJ. Learn to love the classic lines! :grin:

www.pjcfasteners.com

hawksuspension
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 3tjrrsp/NC29/998R/rc30 750 rep

Post by hawksuspension » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:24 pm

Kayla850 wrote:
The R6 stuff is all wrong for the tiny, ickle, jewel-like 3TJ. Learn to love the classic lines! :grin:
Agreed :peace: ..

Mind you the only tail conversion i think that suits it down to the t is modded rs125gp 08 seat..But love the std fairing shape etc

Taggyd
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: fzr 400 3tj x 2, cbr900rrs

Post by Taggyd » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:13 pm

'fighta it! big headlight and wikid sticky up zorst and rear end, wiv mahoosive flat bars and go faster black paint wiv a skull on! :whistle:

Or may be not!
Standard bodywork all the way for me, a good paint job is probably going to make it look a lot better rather mess with the lines I recon. But that's just my opinion!

petrolhead
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by petrolhead » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:01 pm

I'm putting a R6 tail on my 3TJ at the minute ,,,
I has made it a few inches narrower as the normal R6 one is just too narrow and looks shit.
I have also shortened it so it doesnt meet the tank ,bit of more work to do on it to get it to look right ,...
Hopefully the end result will look like its meant to be there,so far I am well pleased with the look of it .