R1 fairing and seat unit onto 3tj

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
nick
Reactions:
R1 fairing and seat unit onto 3tj

Post by nick » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:30 pm

Anyone know if it's possible to graft a race fairing and tail unit from a 5pw (first of the injected R1's) onto a 3tj? Having sold my 5pw to fund a new Tuono, i'm left with race bodywork and with a 3tj about to join the Tuono in the garage i'm wondering if a mating is possible?

Cheers,

Nick.

Taggyd
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: fzr 400 3tj x 2, cbr900rrs
Re: R1 fairing and seat unit onto 3tj

Post by Taggyd » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:48 pm

its been done with r6 fairings, you'll probably need the seat as well or fill the space as the tj seat is smaller, and you'll need to do something to the sub frame as well i think, with a few brackets etc it could fit but i dont think it'll look right but thats just my opinion! :mrgreen:

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:58 pm

Why not sell the bodywork and get something for the TJ ???

kaighn80
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by kaighn80 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:08 am

its easly done, basically you have to cut all the tabs and molded bits off the bottom of the subframe which will still be too long, shorten it down (i went to where the top and bottom rails meet.). i fitted mine using the mount for the seatlock to hold the upper portion of the seat in place and the subframe fitted inside the seat now but it left the seat at a funny angle, to cure that i unbolted the bottom subframe mounts and positioned it by lifting the back and putting blocks between the seat and the rear wheel until it looked about right and made tabs to go between the origenal mounts and welded them onto the sumframe so i could bolt the bottom back on, they were about 3/4 of an inch and it made quite a difference. anything i didnt explain properly just pm me and i'll try to make it a bit clearer. or if thats no good then i could make you a light weight race one. ;) ;)

nick
Reactions:

Post by nick » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:18 pm

Do you have any pictures you could post?

nick
Reactions:

Post by nick » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:21 pm

Evilchicken0 wrote:Why not sell the bodywork and get something for the TJ ???

If it's going to be a tricky job or the looks aren't to good then thats the route i'll take ;)

kaighn80
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by kaighn80 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:59 pm

KIYOSHI
Reactions:

Post by KIYOSHI » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:05 pm

the 400 race at the manx was won this year by a 3tj with R1 bodywork, will be plenty of pics on net i would have thought.
:up:

nick
Reactions:

Post by nick » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:52 pm

Had a look for some pics of the bike but according to the web, a kwak won the 400 race and the only yam I could find had standard bodywork. Any idea of the rider and/or bike number?

KIYOSHI
Reactions:

Post by KIYOSHI » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:00 pm

Carollyn Sells, won the 400 race over 4 laps without stopping. The fisrst women to win a solo IOM race, on a Yam and no one knows about it? shame!!!!

She was on the front cover of the last issue of BSN, orange No36 machine.
:up: