FZR 400 model help

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
thehappyshark
Settled in member
Reactions:
FZR 400 model help

Post by thehappyshark » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:20 pm

Hello guy,
Ive recently purchased a 1990 yamaha FZR400, I believe its a 3TJ model. I'm after some parts but I have noticed something odd. Are all the 3TJ model FZR's known as RR's or RRSP? When I bought the bike it was listed as an FZR400 with no designation, can anyone shed any light? Also of anyone has any bits for sale let me know.

oollit
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400RR 3TJ, RF900R
Re: FZR 400 model help

Post by oollit » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:45 am

Hi,
if you go to www.madsi.co.uk there is a page with all the models and chassis numbers to help identify your bike.

The most obvious thing will be the RRSP has a single seat unit, but that's not definitive as someone might have fitted a single seat to an RR to bump the price up.

As far as I can remember the RRSP has a close ratio gearbox, adjustable suspension, extra clutch plate, uprated valve springs, captive wheel spacers and possibly flat slide carbs.

It seems a bit quiet on here nowadays, as I have not been on this side much over the last few years, but I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable members will be along shortly and give you more information.
I only please one person per day.
Today is not your day, tomorrow isn't looking good either.

laminator
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 2tk,NC30, YB7

Post by laminator » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:07 am

As oollit stated, have a look at madis. They list the frame number ranges for each model,you should be able to find the frame number on your bike and compare it to the website.

Would be nice if it turns out you've got an RRSP :)

thehappyshark
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by thehappyshark » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:23 am

Ok thanks guys any help is appreciated, only just moved to 4 stroke bikes always ran smokers. Just to clarify, all FZR 3TJ's are RR's as standard or an SP?

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:43 am

thehappyshark wrote:Ok thanks guys any help is appreciated, only just moved to 4 stroke bikes always ran smokers. Just to clarify, all FZR 3TJ's are RR's as standard or an SP?
Yes.
There's the also the Japan Export model - 4DX which is like the3TJ RR but with a couple of small changes. The quickest way to tell the models is by headlight and air intakes, a 3TJ has a trapezoidal lamp with 2 paralever lamps and no air intake.

thehappyshark
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by thehappyshark » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:35 pm

Thanks guys, after some investigation its a 3TJ1

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2