Thundercat 4TV Stator Cover.......

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Graveltrap
Settled in member
Reactions:
Thundercat 4TV Stator Cover.......

Post by Graveltrap » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:21 pm

Ok so the title of my second ever post on this form isn't about a 400 but bear with me please.

I'm building a 3TJ/Thundercat hybrid (like Giller72's) for BEMSEE thunderbike cup. I tested an early version at Rockingham a couple of weeks ago and binned it, due to a wet teflon tack and supercorsa tyres. I bust the stator cover beyond repair in the crash

I didn't worry as I had a spare motor plus a spare cover and a 3TJ cover. After cutting up a 3TJ cover to accommodate the leads from the pick-up I realised the 3TJ and the earlier Thundercat covers are 5mm shallower, have the pickup mounts slightly wider and have threads for the stator bolts in different locations.

A 4TV cover seems ridiculously hard to get unless I want to spend half the value of a motor and ship it from the US. Can anybody advise on anything else that will fit?

Thanks

icklepob
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Thundercat 4TV Stator Cover.......

Post by icklepob » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:12 pm

Following

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:27 pm

Hmm - how about those racing covers ?
Not cheap but might last longer
http://www.lm-spares.co.uk/acatalog/Yam ... overs.html

Graveltrap
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Graveltrap » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:20 pm

That would be ideal, and cheaper than something standard from the US. Sadly LM is now Raw Power Motorcycles and don't do those covers. Bike Torque and NRC themselves want about double that price per side :o

I have now found this but I'm not sure it can fit everything it states in the add and can see it being a 3TJ version with a cut out

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-FZR400RR ... B01N4P0V22

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:06 am

It does look like its one advert for all and even I know the 600 is different to the 400.

Could you find a scratched one and have extra alloy welded to it or maybe look at Woodcraft - they do some covers.

Graveltrap
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Graveltrap » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:43 pm

In the absence of another alternative I messaged the Amazon seller and got them to measure their cover. It was about right so I got one. It fits ok and the pickup and stator bolt holes are correct. The bike runs pretty badly so timing may not be spot on however it's off to Dynotech on Saturday for a proper set-up, Ignitech CDI and quickshifter check, removal of the remaining unnecessary bits of the loom and they will see what the difference is between the CV and flatside carbs.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:54 pm

Fingers crossed it will run better. Are you fitting the ignitech for timing advance and quick shift ... might have been easier to start on standard cdi then upgrade ?

Graveltrap
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Graveltrap » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:07 pm

All good now, my litte crash resulted in a tiny piece of heat tape getting sucked into a carb. It made 101 bhp without using the flatslides.

Ignitech was on the donor bike so I kept it. It's proved very hand as it has allowed the bike to be set up correctly then the power resticted back by 8/9 bhp at the top to meet the limit I have for the Thunderbike Sport class (1bhp per 1.81kg).