I'm on three cylinders

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Robotnik
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 2x3tj xs650
I'm on three cylinders

Post by Robotnik » Tue May 16, 2017 5:39 pm

We'll she passed her MOT OK last week, I took her out for her first run out in over a year the day before yesterday, just a 30 minuite ride around and apart from the gearchange going a bit clunky by the end of the ride due to the chain needing re-adjustment and the temp guage not working everything else seemed great.
It was just a gentle ride around just to get her and myself back into the groove, didn't go above 60mph, parked her up with a big grin.
Went to start her today and unexplainably she is on three cylinders, number 1 exhaust is cold, she was fine when I parked her 2 days ago.
I haven't had a chance to check anything yet, I'll have a look tomorrow, any thoughts welcome.
Neil

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2
Re: I'm on three cylinders

Post by Evilchicken0 » Tue May 16, 2017 11:11 pm

Take the airbox off and run the engine. If it runs on 3 spray a little carb cleaner down the carb intake. If it picks up then you need to clean the carb ... or carbs. If not it could be the plugs ... change them.

To be honest if you just started it after being laid up you should clean the carbs anyway and it's always good to renew the plugs from time to time.

Robotnik
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Robotnik » Thu May 18, 2017 9:31 pm

Hi Evil
I did what you said today, I used Bradex though, our mower likes a sniff of it now and then, no joy though.
I swapped 1 and 4 plug leads, it was just the same though, number one header still cold.
Next I replaced No1 plug with one I had in a spare head and I'm back on 4 cylinders now, new set of plugs on order.

I've been thinking, I use an anti pinch pin through the fairing just in front of the plug caps, I wonder if I caught it with that and cracked the ceramic, it's a bit of a pain to secure the lock sometimes, especially when it's on the side stand and not on the paddock stand as it wants to fall out, it can get a bit break dancey when I'm trying to push the anti pinch pin with my knee at the same time leaning over the bike to get the lock on the other side, I'll be more careful in future.

I replaced the temp sensor while the tank was off so hopefully I'll have a working Temp gauge now as well.
It's all good :grin:
Neil

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Fri May 19, 2017 1:15 pm

Not quite sure what an anti pinch pin is .... is it like a Bike Lock ???
I used to use an Abus Granite U lock thing in an FZ600 and lock it up through the swingarm, the lock would fit quite snug.

Robotnik
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Robotnik » Fri May 19, 2017 6:19 pm

Anti pinch pin.
http://securityforbikes.com/anti-pinch-pin.php
It allows you to chain the main part of a bike to a ground anchor instead of the wheels as determined thieves remove the wheels or just carry the bike away if it isn't secured to something immovable.

I haven't found a good place to put a sizeable chain through a 3tj.
Neil

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Fri May 19, 2017 9:01 pm

I used to have a carrying plate between the number plate and mudguard. It was a horizontal tube at the top with a plate against the mudgard and another to mount the numberplate on.
I'll see if I can do a sketch

Robotnik
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Robotnik » Sun May 21, 2017 6:56 pm

I think I know the sort of thing you mean, I bought a bag that straps to the rear seat to carry a lock and chain but the lock and chain I bought it for won't fit into it.

Alext900
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Alext900 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:52 pm

Try float needle / overflowing , mine would run on 3 when over fuelling when needle does not shut off fuel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro