Best option for selling/breaking a 3TJ?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
oollit
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400RR 3TJ, RF900R
Re: Best option for selling/breaking a 3TJ?

Post by oollit » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:55 pm

Back problems have eased a bit this week so have got a bit done on the foundation, concrete truck is coming on Monday or Tuesday, weather permitting, but as we had a hard frost last night and the same again forecast for tonight I am pretty sure it is going to get cancelled. But it's still progress.

Sneaky peak at what I am hoping to end up with, 4.2 x 6m workshop.

Nice white cladding probably won't go on straight away and will have to make do with a felt roof until I can afford profile sheeting, but it will be a nice dry space for me to tinker in when I am up to it.

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Not a big fan of streetfighters, so will probably just rebuild the TJ back to standard with the 600cc engine.

I am planning on trying out hydro dipping when I have the space, so will practice on my fairings and panels and if it all goes tits up I will get my mate to respray them for me.
I only please one person per day.
Today is not your day, tomorrow isn't looking good either.

1966baz
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by 1966baz » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:52 am

That will be a really nice size shed mate. Just think always onwards and upwards and you'll get there. You'll love working on the 3tj once in with all that room and I definitely say huge fun will be had on it with a 600 engine. I built a shed similar size and put together a 3tj with thundercat engine on a budget. The bike is a real hoot especially on the twisties and handles very close to my standard 3tj. Good luck with your back.

dobbslc
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 3TJRRSP TRX850 XV750 cafe

Post by dobbslc » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:25 am

Great looking workshop but I can see one very large problem!
It's got a bloody car in it!!! :o

oollit
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by oollit » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:58 pm

Ha ha, unfortunately it does have a car in it but as I am a mechanic it will be working on cars in the workshop that pays for stuff like bike lifts, profile sheeting and cladding. If I was a rich man it would only have a bike sized door :grin:

It will certainly be good to have a workshop again, as I ran my own commercial garage for 5 1/2 years and was used to having heaps of room, 2 car lifts, tyre changing and balancing machines, shot and bead blasting equipment and a store full of every tool and consumable known to man. To go from that to working outside on a driveway in the pissing rain was a bit of a comedown and completely put me off working with cars.

I will be getting a scissor lift to get cars off the ground, but due to height restrictions it will only be a low lift, but will still mean I can work on stuff like brakes while standing up rather than sitting/kneeling on a cold concrete floor.

Bike lift will also be a must, as anything that will get me up off the ground and working in an upright position will mean I can work for longer without putting myself through a lot of pain, and hopefully keep the motivation levels up as there is nothing that saps motivation more than pain.

Have already got myself another bead blasting cabinet, so have spent the weekend cleaning out all the old damp media, fixing the lighting, fitting a new screen and water trap and started on making a new water filter to save the hoover from blowing up from the really fine dust.

Looks like things are going to be a lot better for me in the New Year :grin: :grin: :grin:

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:45 pm

Woohoo !!!

Purpletoddy
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Purpletoddy » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:02 pm

I may be interested as im not a million miles from Aberdeen and I have already converted one bike before to 600.

Can I ask what 600 engine is currently in the frame??

oollit
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by oollit » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:51 pm

I think it is a Foxeye engine with 20k miles on it. Been a few years since I bought it so not 100% sure anymore.
Was bought through here from a reputable long term member called Tony, can't remember his tag though.

I will check through my old posts later on and see if I can find the thread.

oollit
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by oollit » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:03 pm

Back again, god I am shit at updating things, ha ha.

Been a bit of a change of plans since this thread was started, actually several changes of plans as I couldn't make up my mind what to do with my workshop. Eventually bit the bullet and demolished my old shed and leveled 1/3 of my back garden and put up 1 o these....

Not 100% finished, but getting there.
6x5m Nissen hut built on top of an 0.9m block wall, giving me plenty of headroom to install a 2 post car lift to make my life a bit easier.

Taken what seems like an eternity as there has been a lot of time lost waiting on builders, suppliers and nice weather, but more or less wind and watertight now and ready to start working on the inside now.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:49 pm

You have an Evil Lair !!!!

oollit
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by oollit » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:51 pm

Yeah, good to have a nice dry space to work in after the last few years of working outside or in the extremely cramped bike shed.
Unfortunately it looks like the first job I will be doing in the new workshop is stripping the 3TJ to sell up as this workshop has cost me a lot more than I planned spending and I need to free up some money to buy my car lift.
Sad days, but "needs must when the Devil drives" so time for it to go.