Need FZR400 Experts

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
burnsjb
Settled in member
Reactions:
Need FZR400 Experts

Post by burnsjb » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:48 pm

Beeb,
I stumbled upon and quickly purchased a 92 FZR400RRSP and am looking for some feedback from those that know these bikes, I do not. Always wanted one but don't have any experience with them.

My experience is in the OW01 /YZF750SP realm so I know Yamaha kit/YEC/SUGO.

It is a zero mile bike, apparently the full SUGO race kit was bought and installed and then never raced. Was stored in Japan then shipped to the US in 09 where it remained in a collection.

Currently living in Norway so haven't seen the bike but a good friend inspected the bike and confirmed it is real.

If anyone with experience with these has observations or recommendations I'm all ears...Just trying to figure out exactly what I got. After 24 years of inactivity will need some love to get back on the track.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2
Re: Need FZR400 Experts

Post by Evilchicken0 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:14 pm

It's hard to comment on it but it looks right. You should have flatslides in the airbox.
If it's a prepared road bike then it's one of 500 but if it's a race bike then it could something outside of that run. You could ask yamaha to trace the frame number and have a look over the engine if it's been named and numbered by the tuner ... Usually on the barrels

willandrip
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Far, far too many now

Post by willandrip » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:34 pm

Someone spent all that money on race kit....but never thought to put NRC race casings on it ....lol.
A red box doth not a Snap On make.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:13 pm

They might not have been available when it was built

willandrip
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Far, far too many now

Post by willandrip » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:34 am

Possibly , though with modified or h/d spill proof casings being mandatory when racing in the US they must have been available within the first couple of years of the Fzr's 1986 inception.
A red box doth not a Snap On make.

dobbslc
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 3TJRRSP TRX850 XV750 cafe

Post by dobbslc » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:26 am

Nice looking original bike, I've got an SP too and it has a few familiar looking parts on it. the tacho looks like it red lines at 13000rpm though, that's 2500rpm short of the race bike red line!
The air box looks very similar to one I've got stashed in the garage.
I have a Boss stainless race exhaust on mine all spring mounted, yours looks like a different system to a standard one as the exup valve looks much closer to the down pipes.
:grin:

1966baz
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by 1966baz » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:09 pm

I bought 0ne last year and restoring it slowly. Great bikes I am told , probably no better on the road as my 3TJ , but getting very rare now. Enjoy it mate.