1WG CDI for a 3BF?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Someone
Settled in member
Reactions:
1WG CDI for a 3BF?

Post by Someone » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:25 pm

Hello,

I have a FZR400A ( 3BF) from 1989 with a restriction to 180km/h.
The 1986 1WG has no speed restriction like i read here in the forum.
Both, 1WG and 3BF use the TID14-53 CDI with two connectors (1x4 and 1x 6 pins).

Can I use a 1WG CDI inside my 3BF without problems, plug and play?

The 3BF has this speedometer control switch inside the wiring.
Unfortunatly, i cannot find a wiring diagramm for a FZR400 1WG to check by my self.

Regards

willandrip
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Far, far too many now
Re: 1WG CDI for a 3BF?

Post by willandrip » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:53 pm

I would use the Gold or Blue speedo converter to fool the TCI into thinking that 180kmh is never reached.

Your speedo would read in mph though.

We tried fitting a different TCI to another model...2TK to 3EN2 and even though the connectors were plug/play it failed to spark.

The wiring colours did not correspond at all...as in they were not even similar coloured wires in the harness.

Genesis wiring dia. will be hard to source...

There is a add in called a M-Max box that plugs in series behind the speedo or infront of the TCI depending on model that eliminates the restriction...

If you take a good pic of TCI outputs and speedo inputs I may have a M-Max or could advise...
Looking for single green..sky blue single bullet and black single plus a block of 3 IIRC.

A red box doth not a Snap On make.

Someone
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Someone » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:50 pm

Thanks willandrip,

The 3bf has a speedo with miles/h.
With the mechanical solution i would only see 135 km/h as maximum on the odometer.
Also the speedo would run often at maximum stop.

I checked the 3BF wiring:
http://cycles.evanfell.com/wp-content/u ... iagram.gif

The signal from the reed switch (Speedo) goes first to the relay assembly and then to the TCI.
Inside the relay assembly is a Canceling Unit according to the 3BF manual.

The 3BF is the "old" 1WG with various versions for USA, Canada (excluded Califronia).
Also the frame was 1989 the old 1WG layout from 1986. No Ram Air nor exup was installed. Only color, swingarm and Frontbrake calippers changed.

Maybe they didn't changed so much at the 3BF electric (Only relay assembly and TCI) ? :pray:

I found a photo of the relay assembly.
http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p62 ... 18a25f.jpg
There is the FZR400 version (3en) printed on it.

willandrip
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Far, far too many now

Post by willandrip » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:47 am

Neither links work !
A red box doth not a Snap On make.

Someone
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Someone » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:29 am

Oh, my fault.
I hope it works now.

Wiring FZR400A 3BF:
http://cycles.evanfell.com/wp-content/u ... iagram.gif

And I think a picture from your relay assembly:
http://s1159.photobucket.com/user/willa ... f.jpg.html

About the M-Max-Box:
Do the FZR400 work in correct conditions ( till 14000 rpm's) if i remove the reed contact after engine start?
If yes, i could open the connection of the reed contact with a simple self-made electronic device.

Greetings from Germany

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:05 pm

Ok - so you're in Germany, so you want a KMH speedo for use on the road, you'd be better off using the M-Max (or similar) box, it should just plug into the loom either behind the speedo or by the cdi.

The 1986 Genesis is the unrestricted cdi, but we don't really know enough about it to say if it will run your bike. It might be interesting to know though, so if you do want to install one and see then let us know.

TomcatMJ
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR 400A (3BF, 2,5 x)

Post by TomcatMJ » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:35 am

Huh? Take the 135 mph which the odometer of the 3BF usually shows in the white scale and multiply it with 1.6 and you will recognize that this is indeed a bit more than 135 km/h :D
Or just have a look at the yellow scale, which is also located in the odometer of the 3BF usually, instead of the white scale as the yellow scale is already scaled in km/h 8-)

A 3BF original cockpit:
Image02042013298 by tomcatmj, auf Flickr

Depending on the reartyre my 1990s 3BFs (one with 150/60 ZR 18 BT090pro and the other with 140/60 ZR 18 BT45) run officially 207 respective 200 km/h maximum speed (ok,ok, with me 1,90 m tall and a weight of around 105 kg a little less, more around 195) but definitely not restricted like the 3EN Models i know...maybe someone mixed up the cabeling and Speedo (where in the japanese Models the restrictor is located) with a 3EN1 or 3EN2?
If you try to just take a 1WG TCI, then remember that the 1WG has a different jetting and an Air Jet more inside the Carbs thand the 3BF Models, i guess the ignitiondiagrams would differ a bit due to the small differences of the original 1WG and 3BF carbjettings ...