FZR 400R LAMS

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Thedien
Settled in member
Reactions:
FZR 400R LAMS

Post by Thedien » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:37 am

Hi all,

I was given an FZR400R (1989 model, I believe it's FZR400R EXUP 3EN2) as a gift, however I'm still on my restricted license. Now, in Australia we have to ride motorcycles under a certain power to weight ratio (150kw/tonne) whilst on our restricted license. Unfortunately, the FZR400R pumps out about 176kw/tonne. Now, the weird part is that the RVF400 is learner legal, and, going from the same site, it produces 176.5kw/tonne. I'm hoping that .5kw gives me some ground to stand on when I apply for an exemption, however I'd like to know if anyone else has registered a bike as approved under LAMS, and if so, how they went about it.
I live in Victoria.
Thanks a lot!

(I sourced the speeds and whatnot from http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/ ... r%2094.htm
http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/ ... r%2089.htm )
*We add 90kg to the weight of the bike, 10kg for fuel, and 80kg for rider weight.

SPOONDIDDLY
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: FZR 400R LAMS

Post by SPOONDIDDLY » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:08 am

Hey mate,

my understanding is that you are only legally permitted to ride a bike that's on the LAMS approved list, regardless if it makes sense or not.

There were many more RVF's than FZR's imported into Australia which makes me think that it's why RVF's are LAMS approved.

Back in the day they would allow bikes to be registered if they fit a certain criteria (which is why you see cbr600rr's and R6's listed as lams approved, they were once restricted) but now that they have a list of LAMS approved bikes you can only ride what is approved.

Thedien
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Thedien » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:46 am

Well that's a bummer.
Though on the VicRoads website, it says you can lodge an application to add a certain motorcycle to the list.
Any other takers?

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:45 pm

Can't you have it dyno'd ?

There was a horsepower limit that was a handshake agreement among the Japanese companies, it was about 60bhp but got lowered to 55 later on. The RVF is a 55 bike but odly the 3en2 is 60

SPOONDIDDLY
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by SPOONDIDDLY » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:45 pm

It might be worth a try, but given that the power output of the FZR and RVF are above the ratio allowed, there is a higher chance of them removing the RVF from the list than adding the FZR

Thedien
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Thedien » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:44 am

I'll check out about dynoing it, I don't actually know any mechanics in my area.
I'm assuming pumping out a fake dyno report is incredibly illegal of course.
Though what about if I get the bike restricted in some way? Not exactly sure how that would work though.

Cheers guys!

SPOONDIDDLY
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by SPOONDIDDLY » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:06 am

They used to allow bikes to be restricted in order to be lams approved (hence the cbr600rr's and R6's that you occasionally see with LAMS approval) but they don't allow it anymore.

I think that the ability to apply for bikes to be added to the list is for the purpose of high-volume grey imports (like the ones that Sumoto import). I don't think they will add a bike to the list because 1 or 2 people have requested it - it'll take quite a few requests/high volume of imports to make the people at Vicroads get off their ass to approve it.

It's worth a shot but I wouldn't get my hopes up that it'll happen. Let us know how you go with it

Thedien
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Thedien » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:15 am

Also, this one is being sold as LAMS approved..
http://www.bikesales.com.au/private/SSE ... ss=Premium
That's just weird. I'll post a letter either today or tomorrow, and see if anything comes of it.

Thanks again

Bluey27
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: '11 YZF-R125 & '89 FZR400

Post by Bluey27 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:03 am

Hey mate! I actually have a 3EN2 here in Victoria as well ;) very cool!
You'll probably find the VicRoads aren't very helpful but I am very interested to hear how you go, if they got it added to the list our bikes would double on value haha

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk