Genesis and 3tj rear of frame question

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
severoni
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1wg frame and a 4jh engine!
Genesis and 3tj rear of frame question

Post by severoni » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:51 pm

Could anybody tell me the differences between the rear end differences between 1wg an 3tj frames?

I know the immediate obvious such as the ears to hold the rear seat and reposition the upper shock mount, but are the engine mounting spaces different widths needing different spacers and longer mounting bolt in comparison to the 1wg?

I take it the swingarm mounting width accepts the same 220mm swingarm width as the earlier bikes but are the castings wider spaced to accept the wider delta box sections?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2
Re: Genesis and 3tj rear of frame question

Post by Evilchicken0 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:18 pm

I think the cases are similar but the big long mount bolt is about 1mm shorter on the 3tj.
Really though the 3tj was a ground up redesign, it's probably lots of small bits

freefallfil
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Genesis and 3tj rear of frame question

Post by freefallfil » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:57 am

Hi - If it helps, the 3TJ arm fits the earlier 1WG frames with minimal mods (Kayla has done before) as in the arm fits the frame gap, the main difference being the pivot bolt is a larger diameter on the 3TJ - so 2 x bushes required to take up the slack from the 1WG pivot bolt & possibly play with the thrust washers to take up the remaining gap (side to side - frame to arm). You may need to alter the `dogbone` length to return to original geometry & utilise the 1WG `knuckle`. ;)