Fuel tank interchangeability

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
evoluzione750
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC27, 3EN1, GK75A, NC29
Fuel tank interchangeability

Post by evoluzione750 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:38 am

I was looking for a replacement fuel tank and pump because the tank in the bike has some corrosion going on and the aftermarket Facet fuel pump installed is only putting out about 1/4 psi from what my pressure gauge is telling me. I've read that required fuel pressure is ~1.5 psi, but please correct me if I wrong.

Mine's an '88 3EN1 EXUP and I've found an OEM eBay replacement tank and pump, but they're off one of the '89 non-EXUP models sold in the US. Would anybody know if the tank would fit in the frame and if the fuel pump would put out the proper fuel pressure for the carbs in the 3EN1 (idk if there were differences in the frame or carbs/fueling settings between the two models)?

eBay link for the tank & pump I was looking at:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201266026700?ss ... Track=true

Thanks

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2
Re: Fuel tank interchangeability

Post by Evilchicken0 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:56 am

That's an interesting one.
The 3EN1 (1988) had a later frame than the Genesis (1986-7) but Yamaha made the USA model from the earlier frame. I know the 3EN has a bar on the bottom occasion the tank that bolts to the frame but I'm not sure if that's different on the Genesis.
I'd recommend you look for a fzr600 3HE tank - the frames are similar (the 600 is steel). Note that the fairings from the 600 will also fit your bike but the tail plastics are different.

Hope this helps

willandrip
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Far, far too many now

Post by willandrip » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:16 am

My Genesis, SP 2TK, 3EN2 and 600 3HE tanks and fuel pumps are interchangeable.
All have the lugs for the cross brace but only some have captive nuts on the sides that the tank bolts to on different models.

The chromed filler tank ring is thicker on the 600 .

Oh; and check the fuel pipe integrity, both Evil and I have had failures lately, much fuel lost; boo hoo. :down:
A red box doth not a Snap On make.

evoluzione750
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by evoluzione750 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:57 pm

Thanks, I guess I'll keep an eye out for a 3HE tank on eBay.
My Genesis, SP 2TK, 3EN2 and 600 3HE tanks and fuel pumps are interchangeable.
Are the fuel pumps swappable between all the 400 models? That's what was most pressing for me, trying to get the proper fuel pressure as I believe that has been one of my biggest problems trying to get it to run properly.

willandrip
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Far, far too many now

Post by willandrip » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:16 am

The pumps are a straight swap on the 1WG series, I am not informed on the 3TJ pumps.

The fuel pressure is not critical, unless it becomes too great for the pipes and the float valve to control.

An Fzr may be run without a fuel pump at all provided the tank is above 3/4 full at which point fuel level in it is above the carbs and gravity supplies feed (similar to a header tank when carb balancing).

Maintain the fuel filter to control debris in the tank and replace the fuel pump with a used genuine Yamaha one to eliminate its effects if you believe that to be the problem; although I have used Kawasaki units previously.( both I believe are Mitsubishi units ?)

The 600 pump is physically slightly larger if IIRC.

Others have had problems with cheap Facet pumps previously.

Often the pump hoses have been replaced with generic hoses that kink and nip once the engine heats up which interrupts fuel supply. They may be improved by the addition of supporting sheaths (springs externally) if the genuine hoses are NLA.
A red box doth not a Snap On make.

evoluzione750
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by evoluzione750 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:14 pm

And I was about to throw down some dosh on another Facet! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I'll look into genuine yamaha pumps to eliminate an unknown as you said.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:41 am

A lot of the 3en1 fuel taps get broken. You have to take the lever off when you fit or remove the tank or it catches on the frame, if it breaks it takes prat of the tap with it. Yamaha taps aren't to expensive, but you want to get the lever's and it little retaining screw at the same time.