They're like buses - silencer related

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
laminator
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 2tk,NC30, YB7
They're like buses - silencer related

Post by laminator » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:35 am

I recently purchased a second hand Alpha racing carbon silencer and exhaust, just waiting for it to arrive from Japan. I wanted something a little different to the norm so went for the Alpha pipe.

I've just looked on the japanese site and there's a Daishin silencer!! Do I want the Daishin, are they any good?

So many questions. 8-)

Drunkn Munky
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 MC21 TZR FZR GSXR RG MITO
Re: They're like buses - silencer related

Post by Drunkn Munky » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:28 pm

If memory serves me right dashin cans are alloy?? there all much of the same really andy i guess it just comes down to personal preference but i love alloy cans they just seem to suit the period looks of the bikes much better. If it is alloy then no doubt it will need cutting open, repacked and welded back up but im sure that'll be no problem for you.
Last edited by Drunkn Munky on Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2
Re: They're like buses - silencer related

Post by Evilchicken0 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:59 pm

Yes of course you want it. No idea if they're any better than anything else really.

If you keep the exup downpipes which is good for low down and road riding then it's really just the can internal dia that makes any difference. Because the critical dia is still governed by the downpipes the performance benefits aren't big, it's mainly weight and sound. Apart from being different and having kudos there isn't going to be a big difference between a Japanese system and a generic can with a badge on it.
I had a 2TK system on a 3en2 that I did up, well I bought it as a system but the 2tk downpipes are standard on 3en bikes so really I was using the standard 2tk can, it was actually quite nice. It cleared it's throat at 8k rpm when the exup had fully opened and sounded good. The looks could have been better but for a standard system the black paint was acceptable. The mounting point was about 30mm closer to the engine than the 3en2 but I got around it.