Hello from a new member

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
giller72
Settled in member
Reactions:
Hello from a new member

Post by giller72 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:33 pm

Hi all,

Recently bought 2 FZR400 rrsp race bikes and so thought I'd say hello to everyone on this forum. So far I've had no success with the yams but hoping that will change next season, also hoping I can pick a few brains. Dose anyone know if a standard cdi should work on a race bike (bdk loom). I had a BDK cdi but it caught fire. I bought one off ebay untested but the bike wouldn't start (no starter motor so bumping only). I'm starting to think (and hope) that the lack of exup input and speedo input etc may stop bike firing even if cdi is okay.

Anyway, here's a couple of pics of the bikes

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2
Re: Hello from a new member

Post by Evilchicken0 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:04 pm

Howdy - welcome etc

A standard cdi should work, the bike should fire up anyway.
Do you have a spark ? That would be the first place to start.

Thing is cdi's shouldn't catch fire, so I'd say it damaged, or was the result of something being damaged other than the cdi

Morespeedvicar
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Fzr400, NC30, CB50J, SS50Z KLR

Post by Morespeedvicar » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:40 am

Hi, and welcome.
If your bike still has the charging circuit I'd check the output voltage, and maybe check the resistance of your coils too see if anything's shorting out.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:32 am

BDK loom on a race bike, it's probably running total loss.

giller72
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by giller72 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:50 am

Thanks for the welcome and the advice, I should have given the whole story first!!

The bdk cdi caught fire after water got in and shorted out the large chip at the bottom of the unit. Since I have two bikes I have simply been swapping the remaining bdk cdi between the two and both bikes work.

I bought a standard cdi untested on the off chance that it would work and if not I may be able to open it up and use parts to fix my other bdk cdi.

My bikes won't start with the standard cdi connected and I was kinda hoping it may be that the absence of exup wire and speedo wire may prevent it from working...as the alternative is that I bought a broken cdi :-(

Evil, you are correct, both bikes are running total loss with no starter mechanism.....I am at present trying to collect the parts needed to put starters on both bikes as I'm too old to be bumping bikes up and down my road....actually my wife's too old to push me up and down the road :grin:

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:11 pm

depending on where you are you might be able to borrow known a cdi to confirm yours.

When you convert the engines to have starters remember - the starter end of the crank could have the lubricating hole for the sprag clutch welded up. Drilling this out can be a bogger because you can't get the drill in close enough without touching the crank cases. Use a flexible drill extension and you can get to it :) You need a dia 2mm bit

Taggyd
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: fzr 400 3tj x 2, cbr900rrs

Post by Taggyd » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:25 pm

I have a BDK engine that I used a standard cdi in. It would start but wouldn't rev past about 4k, it acted like it was hitting the limiter. It would still start though! I connected the exup motor and it ran fine. I did have the standard clocks plugged in though so the signal from the speedo was there too. Not sure if that helps?
There's also a chance that whoever deristricted it didn't solder it up properly and it loosened off causing a short to set fire to it.

giller72
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by giller72 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:08 pm

Thanks Evil, I didn't think about the oil feed to the starter, I'll check the crank before installing. I'm just waiting on some fzr600 idler gears that I've taken a gamble will fit the 3tj.

Taggy, thanks for the info, it looks like my standard cdi is broken since it won't allow the bike to start at all. I may open it up to get at the chip inside to attempt a repair to other cdi

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:25 pm

Neither did I until the tuner told me about it