3TJ6 Racing in 2013

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Kurlon
Settled in member
Reactions:
3TJ6 Racing in 2013

Post by Kurlon » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:33 pm

So, the machine survived it's first trackday, the plan now is to clean up and prep for a full race season next year.

Currently the bike needs a new mirror brace as the current one is cracking at the base. And I need to source replacement seat bumpers, they seem to like to fall out when when I'm not looking.

What I'd like to have before the start of the season is:
- New bodywork and a fresh paint job (ARD stuff good?)
- 2nd set of wheels for rains
- Anything I can swap in to lower the weight even more

Wheels seem to be my biggest challenge, anyone up for playing an international game of man in the middle on eBay with me? For some reason while there are wheels up there, none of the sellers want to ship to the US. Also, as I've got a SP, are the wheels any different or is it just a matter of using the right bearings to fit the captive spacer setup? (Oh, I'll need a set of captive spacers too, seeing as the ones I have right now won't come out by hand and I'm not breaking the hammer out for a quick wheel swap in the middle of race weekend.)

In exchange, I can return the favor if there's something in the US you're looking for?

bendy3
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400RRSP FZR400 HYBRID RRSP
Re: 3TJ6 Racing in 2013

Post by bendy3 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:03 am

SP wheels are different, you can't just swap sp spacers into an RR wheel the bearing sizes are different. If you fit RR wheels in your SP you'll need to turn down the length of the rear spacer on the disc side by 2.5mm to make it fit properly with an SP caliper carrier.

Taggyd
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: fzr 400 3tj x 2, cbr900rrs

Post by Taggyd » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:48 pm

i built my own subframe, was less than half the length of the original and wighed about 3lb all in, which is a lot lighter than standard! Cost about £15 in materials, and a drink for the guy who welded it!
You can cut down the front fairing frame if you are just having track fairing (infact i think ive got one that has been cut down if you are interested) it will save a bit of weight. if you want to go even more you could remove the starter motor.

Kurlon
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Kurlon » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:12 pm

Looks like the wheels and bearings are the same across the 3TJs, just a matter of different spacers externally and between a couple bearings, so that's easy enough to sort if I get non SP wheels.

My machine already has a BDK subframe in back, the entire front fairing subframe was tossed for a minimal gauge mount with no fairing attachments. The only frontal fairing mount is the (cracked) mirror brace. Being the lazy SOB I am, I'm keeping the electric start. I did go to a lithium battery so that saved SOME of the involved weight.

I see BDK has a magnesium version of the adjustable ride height shock mount, need to weigh mine to see if it's a BDK already or not. Looks like the next big chunk of weight to toss would be swapping to BDK's lower fork clamp set? After that it's wheels and then lots and lots of money for tiny gains as I swap in titanium hardware...

Hogdigerdy Dog
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400RR 3TJ, ZX9R fighter

Post by Hogdigerdy Dog » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:10 pm

i could be totally off my head here, BUT

has anyone tried cutting the tj tank up, so it's just a lookalike hollow shell
and mounting a smaller plastic tank underneath, probably save 1/2 a kilo
a bit like the earlier FZRs with a metal tank cover and plastic inner tank
have to be jetted properly, but you'd do that anyway on a race machine

Kurlon
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Kurlon » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:53 pm

I was toying with the idea when initially trying to decide on how to deal with my damaged fiberglass tank. I dont' see any real technical challenges other than finding the right shape and size tank to hide under there, and fill spout plumbing if you don't want to pop the cover every time. If you're ditching the airbox there is plenty of room for a pitbike tank, and those are cheap and plentiful.

Taggyd
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: fzr 400 3tj x 2, cbr900rrs

Post by Taggyd » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:38 pm

think i've seen one with an ally tank like you suggested with enough to do a race but not much else.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:16 pm

If you ditch the 3TJ tank then you can put a replacement under the seat - youve got a fuel pump so there's no real problem.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:46 pm

The RR front wheel is the same as the trx850 and yzr600 foxeye

Kurlon
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Kurlon » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:02 pm

Found a possible parts cache/rain bike in the US. Frame is 3TJ, forks don't have preload adjusters so I'm assuming their RR, not SP. Can't tell from the pics if it's a RR or SP swingarm, suspecting RR though as the stand spools aren't where they are on my SP unit. If I'm looking at things correctly it's a 1989 3TJ1?

Looking at the parts fiche, the diagram shows the 3TJ1 using a different front left spacer and seal along with a different front inner spacer. The front axle is the same across the models.

In back, the 3TJ2, 3TJ6 (what I have) and 3TJ7 use a different inner and outer spacer in the cush drive and a different rotor side spacer on the wheel. There is a difference in axle PNs for the 3TJ1 and 3TJ2 vs the 3TJ6 and 3TJ7...

I know it's been mentioned in the thread that the wheels may or may not adapt with just spacer/inner bush swaps... can anyone confirm one way or the other for certain? If they swap, this parts cache will help me out, if not I'll have to pass on it.