Can you see what it is yet

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2
Can you see what it is yet

Post by Evilchicken0 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:22 pm

A couple of weeks ago I picked up a 3TJ in need of a bit .... maybe a more than a bit of TLC

I came with an engine which was taken out to do the valve tollerances and paint the casings. The rest of the bike was going to be done too but the guy's circumstances changed and it didn't get finished. That's why I was travelling over the Dartford Bridge in a transit, still I got it to my garage.

Then I took stock and foun a few bits were missing. Still nevermind, I did think about selling on the 400 engine and dropping a 600 in, I still might, but either way I need to sort out the rolling frame, so I started on the engine :roll:

Image Image Image

CRM
Admin NWAA
Admin NWAA
Reactions:
Re: Can you see what it is yet

Post by CRM » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:42 am

hope this will be ready for friday Boris - c'mon no slacking now you can do it ;)
Insert Signature Here

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:48 pm

I bloody can't !!!

hipringle
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 954 blade,

Post by hipringle » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:36 pm

Oh yes you can.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:24 pm

No - I won't
This is sounding like a marrage ...

Sooo because the engine had the cases off I thought I strip and clean the clutch and got my big boys tools toys out

You have to take care not to drop the clutch's ball bearing because it will drop into the sump. So while I had the sump off I cleaned out the old oil, some gunky looking stuff and guess what ? there was a bearing in there that fitted the clutch, amazing.

Where the engine has stood on an angle water has stayed in the sparkplug holes. Unfortunatley the drain hole on the one side had got blocked up, the plugs looked pretty rough - It took me a while but I got it cleaned out The plugs came out ok though.

hipringle
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 954 blade,

Post by hipringle » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:57 am

Good work mate, it,ll thank you for it later is this going to be a keeper then?

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:23 am

Nope - I've got 2 bikes and that's about right for small amount of time I ride them. I guess if anybody's interested in it let me know and I'll work out a spec for you. Most of it will be done as a matter of course but there's other bits that while desirable won't pay for themselves (braided brake hoses and tyres)

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:54 pm

Righto - well here's the cases painted up. I used 5 wheels silver and "PU Laquer" an alloy wheel laquer and it's like spraying glue but thicker - does the job though.
One thing I didn't get right - the new paint reacts with the edges of the old, it goes a bit like paint stripper but only for a millimeter. A bit late for these cases .... hmmm am I going to strip and redo them ... sadly no. When I did the cam cover I used an acrylic primer (use it on plastics before arcylic paint) smell's like model kit glue, anyway it does the trick.

Next bit of spraying will be the the subframes, clipons and yokes - more of that later.

Time to get the cams in.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:13 pm

An engine with the top on

I took most of a weekend to get the cams in checked, out again, move the shims about, in again yada yada. The tollerances are ok at the moment - they could be better but then at £4 a shim they could be a lot worse too.

I've also been swapping bits for other bits ... the fork stanchoins are rusted and a seal has blown. The oil was leaking onto the caliper but the brake pads are nearly finished anyway. The rears are similar and a pad pin is missing.

Exhaustsniffer
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Exhaustsniffer » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:48 pm

Hurry up and finish it already :whistle: