FZR400 FLOAT HEIGHT

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
boxter99
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR's, R1's etc
FZR400 FLOAT HEIGHT

Post by boxter99 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:54 am

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone knows whats the stock float height for an FZR 400 1WG. I dont mean the fuel level (that its described on the factory manual) I mean the float height. Though these two are equivalent I have measured the float height on the FZR 400 and find it ~25mm? Thats too much i think, too little fuel inside.
I saw on another forum that 13mm float height is a good figure to go, also on the old carbed R1's we set it from about 7.5 to 10mm. On info on float height and what i mean with this look eg here
http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/jetk ... ation.html
and this image
http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/imag ... cement.jpg

Or look factory pro website they do a tool there that i have.

Also what turns are the pilot screws set to (stock)? My 1WG factory manual says 3%, I think it means 3 turns out but I read somewhere that its actually 3 1/2 turns out. Anyone can advise on these two? I am using stock pilot jet and stock main also all stock ais jets too.

Regards,

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2
Re: FZR400 FLOAT HEIGHT

Post by Evilchicken0 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:34 am

You set the float height by setting the fuel level with a U tube as the manual says. I guess you need to measure the fuel height and take the closest one then set the floats from that one.
Make sure the floats aren't pin holed and getting fuel inside - if they're translucent you can see anything inside, if they're not (black) hold them under water and look for bubbles

boxter99
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR's, R1's etc

Post by boxter99 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:35 am

Evilchicken0 wrote:You set the float height by setting the fuel level with a U tube as the manual says. I guess you need to measure the fuel height and take the closest one then set the floats from that one.
Make sure the floats aren't pin holed and getting fuel inside - if they're translucent you can see anything inside, if they're not (black) hold them under water and look for bubbles
I was hoping that someone already has done that U tube measurement and give us the corresponding (stock) float height. I have some stock 1WG cabs that I really have no reason to believe that are modified and they yield 25mm float height. Seems to me a bit too high though. However sometimes different float height gives much better results. On the FZR archives they mentioning 13mm which is half.
Btw any idea what are the mixture screws set to (turns out from fully closed)?

Regards,

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:00 pm

The R1 is a later bike with bigger carbs ... I don't know the settings but I wouldn't think they'll similar.
Remember there are various models of 1WG and FZR archives are probably Genesis models

If the bike runs badly then clean out the carbs - count the turns on each screw from where they're set and put them back to those settings first, see if the bike runs better.

graeme
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: VT250FG, FZR400 EXUP

Post by graeme » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:43 pm

I've currently got mine at around 24mm - still a little rich though. There seems to be a couple of variations of carbs for these bikes out there - mine's a 3EN1 with what I figure are Jap spec carbs (essentially 600 carbs, but jetted differently), these carbs seem to be common on bikes in Australia and out here in South Africa. The settings I've tried that were recommended from sources in UK and USA haven't worked well for me - bikes brought into those countries seem to have pretty different carbs.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:50 pm

These are from a 3EN2 they're similar to a 600 with different setup.

USA have different model years than the UK and Japan the 3EN1 is a 1988 model, the 3en2 1989. The USA got the Genesis for those years although I think California got the 3EN2 because the exup helped it pass emissions

graeme
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: VT250FG, FZR400 EXUP

Post by graeme » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:22 am

Yup those are very similar to the carbs on my 3en1 (and exactly the same as another set of carbs I picked up for spares). After lots of playing 25mm is looking like a good setting for me.

Also... I'd previously tried 25mm and then set lower as the bike wouldn't start, but that just seems to be a characteristic of these carbs - once they've run dry they're a bitch to get going. It usually takes me about 3 or 4 run-starts down my steep-ish driveway... but I've started using starter-fluid/spray - much easier haha and she usually starts right up.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Evilchicken0 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:24 pm

If the carbs run dry then you'll need to let the fuel pump cycle a couple of times becuase it's on a timer. Turn the ignition on then flick the kill switch to off and on again. It probably still won't go on the button though.

Pab10
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Pab10 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:58 pm

Hi!

Which are the differences that have the 3en1 carbs against 3en2 carbs.? they look pretty much the same..
;)

thunderace
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: R6, YZF600R

Post by thunderace » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:59 am

3EN1 float height, IIRC, is 22mm factory :peace:
Conventional wisdom says to know your limits. To know your limits you need to find them first. Finding your limits generally involves getting in over your head and hoping you live long enough to benefit from the experience. That's the fun part.