600 3HE loom into 3EN2 for engine swap?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
toosmooth
Settled in member
Reactions:
600 3HE loom into 3EN2 for engine swap?

Post by toosmooth » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:15 pm

I've read somewhere on the old forum, when last I was actually doing something with my 400/600 conversion about 16months ago, that I needed the entire loom from the 600 including importantly the key ignition unit (which is held in place by 2x10mm bolts each sunk into a recess so tight that none of my sockets can actually fit in the hole and undo them...)

Lots of the bits and bobs from the 600 loom, coils, relays CDI's and stuff are in the wrong place having compared looms, is there any advice about this that truncates the process? - if it helps, this bike is never, ever going anywhere near road use again, speedo, lights, blinkers etc can all go in the bin.

I have the 600 loom out and in my hand, so I've got all options available to me, I would just love the best practice from those who have lived the 1wg/3he swap previously.

cheers chaps,

Paul B

zimm
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: some ZXR400's, ty175, mz ts125
Re: 600 3HE loom into 3EN2 for engine swap?

Post by zimm » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:05 am

from what i've read i think you should be able to use the 400 loom, even the cdi, only problem being that the 600 lump wont rev as high, so you cant rely on the limiter to save the engine.

Sligeach
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: '90 NC30 - '12 Stripe R

Post by Sligeach » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:19 am

hey paul,
long time no chat
are you still soldiering on with my FZR frame or have you accumulated more yamaha parts in Tring?

toosmooth
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by toosmooth » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:31 am

Hi Declan,

I was clearing the garage out at the weekend and I found an FZR400 and an FZR600 in various states of disrepair

Given the fine weather, I wheeled them both out and stripped some bits off of each and started to get excited about it again. The 400 does now have a 600 lump in it, but apart from that it's about where you left it with me.

I've got a full set of 03 R6 track bodywork for it which I've seen fitted on someone elses posts here, the FZR600 will donate a spare set of wheels/engine when I've broken it and all in all, with an R6 shocker, and perhaps a Thundercat f/end, it could just make a decent little track toy for Hellie (you'll remember my other half - she's feeling the need for speed). Of course I'll have to ride it extensively on track for long periods during the development process.

hows the NC going? - still sweet and gorgeous or thrashed to within an inch of death by your testosterone fuelled youthful antics?

anyway, mustn't detract from a serious question about the loom - sill looking for answers, and I'm not planning on running a 400 CDI on the 600 motor, that would kill it quicker than a hand grenade under the sump at the first missed gearchange over-rev!

PB

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:47 pm

I think the real difference was in the way the cdi's were wired - If I'm right one of the wires went to a different terminal but because the wires are different colours it all gets a bit unecessary.
lay up the loom to the bike and make some extensions to the bits that are in the wrong place.

The ignition switch on the 400 has two block conections and the 600 only has one. You might just want to drill out the bolt heads if you can't get a socket on them ... or find a cheap box spanner as the walls will be thinner than a socket.