NC39 VIN no. trouble

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Jazsamon
Settled in member
Reactions:
NC39 VIN no. trouble

Post by Jazsamon » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:36 am

Hello,

My VIN stamped onto the rivet plate is 7AT08G0HX16044739. The 10th character is a "1" as you can see, and from what I've read this indicates the year of manufacture being 2001. Trouble is the bike was advertised as being 2003, has 'Super Four VTEC Spec II' stickers on it, as well as "Spec II" on the background of the instruments.

This has raised some red flags, especially as I remember the previous owner mentioning that the clock doesn't work and he "has no idea why". (The rubber button has nothing underneath it) - Could the whole cluster have been replaced with a Spec II cluster to make it look like it had lower k's?

My national vehicle jam report shows consistent km's since it was imported, so if did happen it was done in the country of origin - Japan.

Would just like to confirm if i'm on the right track, or if the VIN numbers are read differently for these bikes.

Cheers

royster81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400R-L NC30 CBR400RR-R NC29
Re: NC39 VIN no. trouble

Post by royster81 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:30 pm

Can you put up a picture of the bike please, especially the clocks.
It's not having what you want but wanting what you've got....Loud ,Proud and Modified ....

Jazsamon
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Jazsamon » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:00 pm

http://imgur.com/a/mlhXi

Here ya go,
Cheers

royster81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by royster81 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:44 pm

Ok I think you do have a spec II, fork lowers on a spec II are different than the spec I, the clocks are different also and the VTEC comes in later on the spec I.

The reason the button doesn't work could be because the little white plastic piece that goes between the rubber button and the circuit board has fallen off, this happened on mine.
It's not having what you want but wanting what you've got....Loud ,Proud and Modified ....

Jazsamon
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Jazsamon » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:32 am

Alright cheers buddy, better to know for ordering parts etc. Thanks.

royster81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by royster81 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:04 am

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/moto-h ... -1172.html

On the clocks diagram part 9 is the circuit board and if you look closely, and I mean really really close just above the number 4 , which is for a different part, you can see one of the plastic bits sticking out.i think this is the part that's fallen off on you

bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZS1000 - ivanised / modified

Post by bludclot » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:26 am

I wouldn't worry overly, if it's a good bike it's a good bike, no matter its history.

A quite possible explanation is that it was indeed manufactured in 2001 but not sold / registered until 2003.

JZH
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: RSCBRRVFVFRST

Post by JZH » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:53 am

Jazsamon wrote:Hello,

My VIN stamped onto the rivet plate is 7AT08G0HX16044739. The 10th character is a "1" as you can see, and from what I've read this indicates the year of manufacture being 2001. Trouble is the bike was advertised as being 2003, has 'Super Four VTEC Spec II' stickers on it, as well as "Spec II" on the background of the instruments.

This has raised some red flags, especially as I remember the previous owner mentioning that the clock doesn't work and he "has no idea why". (The rubber button has nothing underneath it) - Could the whole cluster have been replaced with a Spec II cluster to make it look like it had lower k's?

My national vehicle jam report shows consistent km's since it was imported, so if did happen it was done in the country of origin - Japan.

Would just like to confirm if i'm on the right track, or if the VIN numbers are read differently for these bikes.

Cheers
Forget that VIN. It's not a Honda VIN, it's a bunch of random numbers and letters, so it will correspond with nothing.

Actually, it looks like it is a New Zealand Transport Agency assigned VIN, so it will mean something in NZ, but there is no reason to believe it would necessarily accurately correspond to the actual bike's specifications. Indeed, it appears they have got the Model Year wrong. Honda export VINs start with JH2, but they may (now) have a different prefix for JDM bikes. It would probably still start with J (for Japan) and H (for Honda), though...

Looks like a nice bike!

Ciao,
JZH

London, UK/So.Cal., USA
www.vsource.org