Haynes manual / NC23E

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
iansoady
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1993 CB400 Super Four
Haynes manual / NC23E

Post by iansoady » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:16 am

As you will all know, the Super Four has an NC23E engine. There is of course no Haynes manual for it, but there is for the CBR400RR which is specified with the NC23E engine.

I've bought a used copy of the manual but am surprised to find that the engine described has gear drive to the camshafts rather than chain, which is what I believe my Super Four has. It also has downdraught carbs rather than the sidedraught items my bike has.

Apart from these unexpected (by me) differences, can I expect the remainder of the engine / transmission section to be correct for my bike? I do understand the running gear is different.

lutha23
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Haynes manual / NC23E

Post by lutha23 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:55 am

If i remember correctly the super four is based on the cbr400rr engine but tuned for low end power and torque... Majority of the engine parts is the same... Just look at part numbers to be correct if you need those give me a shout

Sent from my LG-V490 using Tapatalk

iansoady
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1993 CB400 Super Four
Re: Haynes manual / NC23E

Post by iansoady » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:24 am

Many thanks for that. I suspect the only real difference is the gear drive to the cams (although I hope I won't need to get into it to that extent) and the carbs.

I don't have any significant work to do on it at present but like to be prepared.....

Someone has said the CBR600 engine is similar but as this is my first adventure with a 4 cylinder Honda I'm a bit clueless. Give me a nice 1960s Brit parallel twin and no problem.