Wheel touch up

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
mbond65
Settled in member
Reactions:
Wheel touch up

Post by mbond65 » Wed May 18, 2016 11:05 pm

I've managed to scuff my rear wheel replacing the tyre, is there a way to fix my mistake? :grin:

billgrundies
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Wheel touch up

Post by billgrundies » Thu May 26, 2016 9:35 pm

Hi, just done repairs on a set of car alloy wheels using isopon Metalik aluminium filler. very easy to apply and sand into shape. not only on deep kerbing but on deep scratches. painted with primer and matching top coat. excellent results. cheers.

bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZS1000 - ivanised / modified

Post by bludclot » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:19 pm

hmmm. there's a world of paint out there that a few lines here won't cover.

If your wheel is the factory paint it's fairly matt black. A decent colour match will be required for good results. True matt paint can't be supplied in an aerosol (yet) so unless you have a compressor and gun (and I guess you don't otherwise you wouldn't have posted your initial question) you might struggle to blow in your damage at home with good results.

Easy but expensive option: take it to a paint shop and collect it when done. There's a sprinkling of guys like myself about that paint in their garden sheds, if you ask around you might find one willing to work on your wheel without paint shop costs.

Most work but cheapest option: purchase the materials you need and paint the wheel yourself. Bank on wet'n'dry, filler, tack cloths, panel wipe, primer, colour and perhaps lacquer as a start. You'll want a mask unless you want a slow toxic induced death.

I have considered offering wheels painted on here on an exchange basis, I don't know if this would be taken up sufficiently to be worthwhile.

billgrundies
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by billgrundies » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:29 pm

I apologise for a few lines only