1992 400sf carb removal

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
zoltan
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: 1992 400sf carb removal

Post by zoltan » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:28 pm

billgrundies wrote:hi again, the float is preset and cannot be adjusted. I could not find info on float height so I used the clear tube method to prove all carbs had fuel in all at the same level. you need 400mm of small bore clear tube. set the bike on level ground and upright. push the pipe on the drain nipple on the underside of the float bowl on carb no1. hold the tube vertical on the side of the carb then slacken the brass screw next to the nipple. fuel will trickle out and rise up the tube. I found that the fuel rose about 8mm above the horizontal edge of the bowl where it joins the carb. no2 carb is done in the same manner and is also held against no1 carb. go to other side of bike and repeat for no3+4. all should be the same. I had no1 carb flood and engine went with a bang :(
Hi again!
My bike is still in the workshop. The guy (a well known expert in Hungary) said that the float needles were too short so the float height is not ok. He thinks the needles (valves) are not the original ones, he told me he tries to build in some other needles. That was nearly 3 weeks ago and no news since the. Today I go to the workshop to have some information.

Best Regards

Zoltan

zoltan
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by zoltan » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:15 am

Hi Guys!
I need some help!
I was in the workshop yesterday and i was told that my bike is almost hopeless. They tried a couple of float valves (all aftermarket), but they could not work, all carbs are flooded from time to time. They said that four pieces oem Honda float valves could help, maybe with new floats. I looked up the part book on the Litetek site, and i found this for the valves: 16155-413-751, and these two for the float: 16013-MV4-000, 16013-MY9-690. Are they correct?
I found two links on ebay for the valves:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Hornet-250-genui ... SwbsBXp-WS
http://www.ebay.de/itm/HONDA-CBR400RR2- ... Swl8NVW-St
and for the float set for example this:
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/h ... 4-000.html
What do you think? They are not cheap at all, i already spent a lot of money for the new diaphragms, but i really want this bike to run.

Zoltan

zoltan
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by zoltan » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:48 pm

Hi!

I decided to order the new float valves. I have found a hungarian company so the the postage cost
not too high. I hope the new parts will solve the problem. If not i do not know what to do next. Until now
it costed me the price i bought it.

Zoltan

JulianBoolean
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by JulianBoolean » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:34 pm

Couldn't you get a set of used carbs via eBay

zoltan
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by zoltan » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:25 am

JulianBoolean wrote:Couldn't you get a set of used carbs via eBay
Hi!
I did not find complete carb set on the ebay. I rebuilt mines with new o-rings, gaskets, diaphragms,
now come the new float valves. Only the floats remain the original. What more could i change to get it run?

Zoltan

Superjack44
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1CB400 SF 1 VFR800 1 Moto Guzz

Post by Superjack44 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:42 pm

Are you sure its the carbs, make sure the kill switch is off, check for spark at the plugs.

zoltan
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by zoltan » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:07 am

I am not sure of anything. The mechanic told me so. The plugs were brand new and there were spark i checked that.
The mechanic told me also that the compression of the engine is on the edge of starting limit, but there nothing
to do with it. I can not believe that. Slowly i will not believe anything he says. Now i wait for the float valves,
they are already paid aniway, if it works ok, if not i look for an other mechanic.