NC31 Fork won't split

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
mbond65
Settled in member
Reactions:
NC31 Fork won't split

Post by mbond65 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:27 am

Hi all,

Doing what I thought would be a basic fork seal replacement has turned into a nightmare, I've been unable to split the fork. I've taken the dust seal off, circlip out, oil out, damping rod bolt out and using the slide hammer method I can't get them apart.

I've tried heating them up but they still won't budge.

Any ideas ?

tomigun
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: HondaCB400sf version R
Re: NC31 Fork won't split

Post by tomigun » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:34 pm

Hello. I would like to ask you, if you have remove the first allen bolt that shows up in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A0p2OH6FmI
If not you should watch out. In my case this is allen bolt did not come as easy as it shows up in the video. I managed to open this bolt using Air wrenches.

Icemaestro
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Icemaestro » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:09 pm

I had the same problem as there is locktight on it...I think in the end I put them back together and needed some compression on the fork with an impact driver

mbond65
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by mbond65 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:17 pm

Yep removed all the bits and pieces, now just on the part where I need to use the slide hammer technique.

The problem is, everything I slide hammer the fork gets stuck and I need to give the fork leg a gentle tap with a hammer in order to try the slide hammer technique again.

royster81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400R-L NC30 CBR400RR-R NC29

Post by royster81 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:22 am

I've had this happen before, I think the bush on the Stantion is getting stuck under the bush on the fork lower.
It's not having what you want but wanting what you've got....Loud ,Proud and Modified ....

Lancerace
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Lancerace » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:45 pm

Hi mate.

It seems.like your bushes are riding eachother an the more you pull the more its going to get stuck. Try gently moving it to the edge till it barely touches then one strong pull. Might b better if someone helps you. If that doesnt work u might as well just pull it hard nd u might as well buy new bushes coz they probably cant be used again now. Dw they are cheapish.

Im currently ttying to cahbge the seals too but that alankey screw at the bottom is giving me a hard time. The one of the other side came off ok, but this one wont bulge. Dont have compressor or air tools.... any ideas ?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk