cdi no spark

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
hoppy41
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: cdi no spark

Post by hoppy41 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:47 pm

got pulse generator unplugged ohm reading is 508

manual says standard is 340-420

mmm ?

checking wiring, can you buy a new pulse generator?
:?:

SevenThreeSeven
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by SevenThreeSeven » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:12 pm

got pulse generator unplugged ohm reading is 508

manual says standard is 340-420
If the ohm reading truly is high (if your multimeter testing was done properly) I'd be inclined to bet on compromised wiring rather than a faulty pulse generator. The pulse generator is just a small magnet wrapped from one end to the other in copper wire to create a magnetic monopole. Usually the whole thing is encased/sealed in plastic resin at the factory. There's simply nothing in there that can come loose or get broken.

The delicate part of the pulse generator is the pair of wires connected to it. On the Bandit 400s and GSXR 400s these two wires come up out of the rear end of the engine's left side cover and they are very easy to accidentally hit or bend or yank and the wires themselves are tiny, just a few strands of copper really.

I'd take off the engine's left side cover and carefully inspect the pulse generator wiring all the way from the connector plug back down to the pulse generator itself. On my Bandit 400 I've learned that I can do this without having to drain the engine oil. All I do it lean the bike as far to the right as I can, against the garage wall, then I take off the cover. If you take off the left side cover with the bike leaning left (on its side-stand) oil will come pouring out of the engine.

Also, did you test the wires from the other side of the pulse generator connector plug to the CDI plug for continuity? Look at the coloring of the two wires from the other side of the pulse generator plug and find those same two colors on the CDI plug. Test for continuity and condition (i.e. connectors not corroded, etc.)

hoppy41
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by hoppy41 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:44 pm

Hi, right took pulse out completely, wiring seems ok to me, no breaks. Still gives high ohm reading 538 (new mulitmeter!) should be right.

Checked continuity to cdi socket, seems ok.

Must mean pulse generator is faulty, though your right seems strong unit and nothing to go wrong?

Can I buy a new one? Any idea were from?

thanks

dave ?

bikerbiffo
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by bikerbiffo » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:18 pm

hi had same problem last week no spark traced it to one of the pulse generator wires the spade connection inside the plug (male) were loose had to remove n clean and crimp em tighter ok after
hope this helps

try turning bike over with a car battery n waddle wires u might get a quick fire up then u will know

hoppy41
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by hoppy41 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:22 pm

hi, thanks guys for help

bikes going again, it was the cdi,

new cdi fitted, running sweet

:grin: