How to match to a resprayed bike?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Allrover
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: CB400 Super Four NC31
How to match to a resprayed bike?

Post by Allrover » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:14 pm

Hi,

I've got a CB400 Super Four that has had a new paintjob in the past, and it's now in a lovely red and white paint job like this (this isnt my bike sadly)

However there was a big crack in the fairing behind the seat, and a chunk of paintwork had broken off. I've filled the broken bit, blended it back to the original and now its lovely and ready for a top coat of white colour.

The problem is, how do I get the right white? I gambled and just bought a can of Honda White randomly from Halfords, but it is VERY white, actually showing my bikes white to be more of a cream colour really.

Apart from spending a fortune randomly buying cans of white paints until I get lucky and find one close enough, does anyone know how I could get a colour matched to it, without it costing a fortune?

bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZS1000 - ivanised / modified
Re: How to match to a resprayed bike?

Post by bludclot » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:59 pm

you require a paint factor. my local factor is called 'express paints' and they colour match anything taken and put in front of them. express have a quick dryer so that when the man thinks the colour is right he puts his sample stick under the dryer for a few minutes to ensure that the dried colour is perfect rather than the just mixed wet paint. obviously the result comes down to the skill of the paint matcher on the day. if buying in aerosol form them budget for around 11 plus vat for 400ml, if by the litre then this will depend upon which paint you buy.

failing that a full respray of all the white is required.

an added benefit of using a paint factor is the quality of paint supplied should be (is usually) far superior to anything available from the retail world. real night and day difference.

Allrover
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: CB400 Super Four NC31
Re: How to match to a resprayed bike?

Post by Allrover » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:54 am

Thanks, I'll have a search and see what their is in the Manchester area. Bound to be something now I know what to search for. Thanks for the reply.