Correct badges and colours for a 94 NC1 Project Big 1?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
PB1
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC31
Correct badges and colours for a 94 NC1 Project Big 1?

Post by PB1 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:09 pm

Hi - Can anyone help me with working out what the badges were like as standard on my bike? It's been painted twice in its life, changing from what I think is the original colour of yellow, to blue, then back to yellow, and most traces of the badging has long gone. It is a 1994 NC31 Project Big 1.

On the tank sides am I right in thinking it would have had the large lettered "HONDA" graphic, with "Super Four" underneath in a script type font? I assume the Honda flying wing emblem was on the later bikes? Also, was the "HONDA" lettering in vinyl or as a metal/resin badge? (I can't tell from pictures I've seen).

On one of my side panels there is a stuck on metal/resin "CB 400" badge with a smaller "PROJECT BIG 1" underneath in red letters as a stuck on vinyl badge. The other panel has this missing so I assume it was lost during one of the repaints. Are these badges original for this bike, or was the CB 400 one nicked off a 1970's CB400 Four?

I've seen pictures of NC31's where the side panels are the same colour as the tank and tail, and also where they are a dark grey colour. Which is correct for this model?

Lastly, the are the deep blue colour and the bright signal red colour I've seen for the NC31 in pictures metalic paint or solid colours? - again it's difficult to tell from the pictures. I assume the yellow is not metalic?

Sorry for being a bit anal about this, and asking so many questions, but I want to sort out the crappy paint job this bike has had in the past, so if I do it I might as well do it properly. Any info from anyone who knows this stuff would be greatly appreciated and will help stop me spending money on doing something that not right.

Cheers - Mike

elmos.ed
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: CB400SF 1994
Re: Correct badges and colours for a 94 NC1 Project Big 1?

Post by elmos.ed » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:05 am

Mike, i own a 1994 CB400SF or NC31 Project Big 1. I purchased this bike as a disaster and i am trying to get it back to it's heyday. I don't know how to post photos, so let me know as I have just taken some of my bike. ed

PB1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by PB1 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:52 am

Hi Ed - there's a "How do I post pictures?" topic in the FAQ and Terms and Conditions section - it involves creating a photobucket account and linking to it. I'd love to see some pics of your NC31, especially if the badging is clear to see, that would be great. If posting pics does not work for you, I've PM'd you my email address - maybe you'd be kind enough to email me some? Many thanks, Mike

PB1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by PB1 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:36 am

Ed - many thanks for sending those pictures, they were exactly what I was after and will help me greatly. It's much appreciated. Cheers, Mike

elmos.ed
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: CB400SF 1994

Post by elmos.ed » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:15 pm

I finally worked out how to post photos. So here is my 94.
Last one with a few mods done to the seat and mirrors. ed