Project: Superfour TLC

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
craigs23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Quite a few
Re: Project: Superfour TLC

Post by craigs23 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:32 pm

You know, I've been searching for a perfect kinda bike for a while now - something that caters for any environment, is enjoyable to use at any speed, yet built well, looks smart, can shift or cruise depending on mood....the Superfour's one of the closest bike to that ideal I've found....why didn't I buy won sooner.

Sorted my little miss fire problem and now really enjoying the bike. It's fantastic on the way to work...especially when the traffic clears on those longer evenings...

Bodhi
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1995 Honda CB400 SF Version R

Post by Bodhi » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:03 am

flip me dude, you're putting my Super4 to serious shame. Don't think I'd be able to have mine shinning as much as that if I sat polishing it all for a year.

Did you get new exhaust headers? If so where did you get them if you don't mind me asking?

Also, how do you find the Hagons? My shocks have been leaking for ages but I just don't know whether to get the Hagons or save like a trooper for Ohlins.

Very impressive looking bike though. Did you keep the 120 tyre up front or did you go back to the standard 110 when you got those new tyres on?

Also, what condition were the fork bottoms when you got the bike, because they look as good as new now. Mine are seriously marked now and I've no idea how to sort them out.

Any cleaning advice then?

craigs23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Quite a few

Post by craigs23 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:00 pm

Thanks.

The photos make the bike look spotless, but it isn't - just a lot tidier than it was before, but testament to the bike's build quality, it didn't take too much effort to get it looking smart.

The exhaust is the same - I removed it and scrubbed away with some green pads and oven cleaner. It was especially bad around the exhaust port area. but came up eventually. I finished the metalwork off with wire wool and brasso to give a satin look shine, and then added a bit of ACF50 to try and keep future corrosion at bay.

My tyre sizes are 120/60x17, 150/60x17 - Dunlop Roadsmarts. Wet or dry, I can't fault them at all. Feels nearly as sticky as a pair of 090s, don't take long to heat up, turn in nicely and retain the bike's feeling of a low centre of gravity. They should last a few thousand miles too - I'm so impressed with them, that I'd thinking of putting a set on my DRZ. I'd even rate them above some Pirelli Diablos, which I'd have sworn by on a few of the bikes I use daily.

The Hagons are pretty low tech, only preload adjustment, plus, they don't have the good looks of the OE items with their remote reservoirs. But for how I'm using the bike - an all rounder, they suit it fine. So much so that I'm in no rush to get the OE shocks rebuilt, the Hagons do just fine. Not bad for a little over £100 either.

The forks had already been scrubbed when I picked the bike up - albeit, with quite a bit of ham fisted wire brushing. There were deep scores in the surface, which I've since evened out using the same technique that I used on the exhaust. I may give them a dusting of lacquer before the roads get salted again for winter.

Hope that helps.

royster81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400R-L NC30 CBR400RR-R NC29

Post by royster81 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:48 am

graig , have you changed the front discs over to opposite sides ?

in your old pictures the left hand disc looks like it has more holes than the right but in the newer pictures it looks the other way around, and the holes look to be going different directions in them also.

is there an advantage to running discs back to front ?
It's not having what you want but wanting what you've got....Loud ,Proud and Modified ....