Luggage and top boxes

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
n1ch0l@s
Settled in member
Reactions:
Luggage and top boxes

Post by n1ch0l@s » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:27 am

Hi,

Im planning to ride to france next year and need a top box for my cb400 sf does anyone know what racks will fit and where i can get one ? if n e one does know that would be great

cheers

nick

Ensie 27
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Luggage and top boxes

Post by Ensie 27 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:12 pm

n1ch0l@s wrote:Hi,

Im planning to ride to france next year and need a top box for my cb400 sf does anyone know what racks will fit and where i can get one ? if n e one does know that would be great

cheers

nick
I don't think Givi do one but it might be worth checking with a supplier, they could possibly order one. Givi equipment doesn't come cheap though.

I can get this one from Yahoo Japan, start price of 2000 yen, (about £15), they normaly sell on there for 11,400 yen, (a lot more).

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... n&ie=UTF-8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fitted:-

superfourben
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by superfourben » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:50 pm

Don't bother with a top box, all you need is a tank bag and another bag to bugee to the back. I went to Toulouse from the UK on my SF and carried enough clothes for the week plus essentials including tools and chain lube. Also Don't forget their is all that room under the seat to hold plenty of items!!

Here's a little piccy of the bike all luggaged up

Ensie 27
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Ensie 27 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:59 pm

Must admit, I'm no fan of top boxes myself and use tank bags, panniers and tail bag. I suppose it's good for locking the lid away and/or if you have a pillion. I used to have a Beemer with the hard panniers, they were great for trips down the supermarket.

amorti
Reactions:
Bike owned: CB-1, MSX125

Post by amorti » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:46 am

superfourben wrote:Don't bother with a top box, all you need is a tank bag and another bag to bugee to the back.
Depends how far you're going and what for, eh? I moved house from Germany back to England like this. With a giant camping rucksack strapped to the back seat. Handling got "interesting" above 80mph on theAutobahn.

TektroG
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by TektroG » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:42 pm

Is that your riding gear? :D

alexibrow
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by alexibrow » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:36 pm

milky is selling a Version R for spares or repair that comes with a brand new rear carrier (presume he means luggage); see his thread in the superfour-General section.

Cadwatta
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Cadwatta » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:44 am

I have a 1994 CB400SF and have discovered that Givi monorack arms, ref. 241F, designed for a CB500 (1989)will fit perfectly. I now only need to buy a plate (Universal, Monorack, Monokey etc) and a top box. Heine Gericke allowed to buy the arms on sale/return basis. The box clicks in or out easily when needed and they aren't too dear these days. In fact I have seen 2nd hand ones more expensive on e-bay than new ones in the shops. I wouldn't get one that's too big though. It'll look daft. 8-)

Mansie
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: CB400 Four NC36, NT650V

Post by Mansie » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:50 am

Agree, I wouldn't go bigger than 35 liters for every day use. I love the Kappa 35, have 2 of them on different bikes.

earthbound14
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by earthbound14 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:04 pm

I do the same thind as Superfourben

I have a rack and put whatever sized pack on the back that I need. Relatively easy to put a pack on or take off with rope (make sue it's on there good, you don't want it shifting around on you during your trip or worse coming loose). I use a 30 liter, a 45 liter and even a 60l on the back. A nice rain cover over your bag is enough to protect it from the elements. You can take the bag in every night rather than having your gear stuck on your bike.