VIN number dating.

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
JacobKritzinger
One Hit Wonder
Reactions:
VIN number dating.

Post by JacobKritzinger » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:43 am

Hello everyone! I'm very hopeful that someone may be able to help me figure out the date on my Honda CB400 Super Four. It's VIN details are as follows: Nc31-1454682 Frame and Nc23e-1754677 engine. The bike was sold as a 1998 model, but from what I can see that's either correct or that the bike is actually from 1993-199? Any help is appreciated!!

JZH
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: RSCBRRVFVFRST
Re: VIN number dating.

Post by JZH » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:47 pm

You need to see a copy of the Honda Parts Catalogue for the NC31. In the front few pages is a table showing all of the models covered by that edition of the catalogue, and the beginning (and sometimes ending) serial numbers for the frames and engines will be shown there for each model year/version. From the numbers alone I can only guess.

The NC31 was in production from 1992 to 1997. Generally, the Frame Number starts at 10xxxxx and increases to 11xxxxx in the second year of production, 12xxxxx in the third year, etc. Based on the usual pattern, that would mean your frame was manufactured during the fifth year of production for the NC31, or 1996.

There would have been two other items of useful information on the bike at the time it was first sold, namely the Paint Code sticker (on the subframe somewhere, under the seat) and the Bar Code Sticker on the rear mudguard (under the number plate). Both of those stickers would have included the bike's Model Name ("CB400F") and well as its Model Year, usually contained in a circle (in your case, probably a "T"). Those stickers sometimes disappear after a few owners/rebuilds, but check if they're still there.

Ciao,
JZH

London, UK/So.Cal., USA
www.vsource.org