Changing Speedo & Tachometer

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
squiddy3000
Settled in member
Reactions:
Changing Speedo & Tachometer

Post by squiddy3000 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:44 am

Does anyone have any advice/experience in swapping out the OEM speedo/tacho for aftermarket ones?

I'm planning on swapping in a mini speedo & tacho, and as far as I can work out it should be a matter of connecting the correct wires from the new dials into the old plug and connecting it in to the wiring loom.

My one question is that from what I gather there is a speed limiter in the OEM speedo (Orange/Blue wire) - with new ones I'm not sure what I'll be coming up against..

Is this accurate and/or does anyone have any tips for me?

squiddy3000
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Changing Speedo & Tachometer

Post by squiddy3000 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:34 am

From what I understand at the moment is that my major concern with changing these is that the speed restrictor runs through the speedometer, and has to be connected for the CDI to work?

If this is the case, can anyone help shed light? Otherwise all the other wires I can quite straightforwardly swap across from the old connectors into the new.

iansoady
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1993 CB400 Super Four

Post by iansoady » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:37 am

You can disable the speed restrictor by adding a resistor - there are full instructions somewhere in this forum.

squiddy3000
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by squiddy3000 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:23 am

iansoady wrote:You can disable the speed restrictor by adding a resistor - there are full instructions somewhere in this forum.
Thanks - I've had a look at this, seems straightforward.

Is anyone aware of any other hiccups that might affect me getting this done?!

Graham04
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Graham04 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:52 pm

Replaced mine with NC31 Chinese copies from Fleabay. About £49 delivered . No extra charges from the Post Office and took under 3 weeks. Look good , just plugged straight in, everything works temp gauge , side stand etc. Also fitted a mechanical MPH converter from M&P. The only issue is the speedometer , it is pretty accurate up to 70mph after that it tends to wander a bit. May try it without the converter one day to check in case it is that. Not a real issue as once you have broken the speed limit it matters not. It may improve with a bit of use but obviously not Honda quality.