NC31 - front forks finish

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
PB1
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC31
NC31 - front forks finish

Post by PB1 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:27 pm

The front fork sliders on my 1992 400SF have been badly painted in matt black by a previous owner and look rubbish. I want to take them back to the original finish but am not sure what this is. Can anyone tell me if it is silver paint with lacquer; bare aluminium; polished aluminium; brushed aluminium; lacquered; or what?

Any help greatly received - cheers, Mike

bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZS1000 - ivanised / modified
Re: NC31 - front forks finish

Post by bludclot » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:31 am

It seems to be 'brushed' - which I suspect is actually linished. If you keep or use final finish linished fork legs outside in the UK I don't see them looking good for too long, so I painted my red bike legs. The problem with paint (or lacquer) is that it tears when bolts are tightened against it. I have considered having my other (yellow bike) forks nickel plated, seeing as the left leg leaks this will probably be in the coming weeks if you can wait to see how that turns out. I suspect that it will be too bright for my taste however so other suggestions welcomed here too.

iansoady
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1993 CB400 Super Four

Post by iansoady » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:32 am

I've found Tetrosyl silver wheel paint aerosols very hard wearing and give a good finish (provided as always the preparation is carefully done).

PB1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by PB1 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:31 am

Thank you Gents. I think I will take the paint off (which is easily done using the edge of a plastic ruler; just shows how well prepped the paint job was....) and then use Scotchbrite strips from the local paint factor to get the brushed/linished look.

I've done this before on a '70s Yamaha and it looked pretty good and near to factory finish. A regular wipe with WD40/ACF50 kept them looking okay for quite some time.

Thanks again.

cb400f1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by cb400f1 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:32 am

I finished mine with a rotary Scotchbrite wheel & then laquered with 2 pack. Seemed to look good for the 10 years I had the bike (though not used on salted winter roads)

PB1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by PB1 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:20 pm

Well, I've found out why the fork sliders were painted; they are covered in pockmarks and deep scratches that appear to have been filled. So stripping and leaving bare, or even lacquered, is now not an option. Silver paint and lacquer it is then.

squiddy3000
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by squiddy3000 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:40 am

I've just painted mine with Rustoleum's caliper paint - great glossy finish and hard, so should resist chipping pretty well - and it's pretty forgiving stuff when it comes to covering a pitted surface