Now got one - a couple of questions

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
iansoady
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1993 CB400 Super Four
Now got one - a couple of questions

Post by iansoady » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:54 pm

I now have a pretty little Super Four. It's still on SORN while I sort out the V5C etc but I have a couple of queries:

1. The clutch seems to drag a bit - adjustment seems spot on, cable moves freely. It may be connected with:

2. The gear lever is very short & stubby. Has anyone tried a longer lever to give my (admittedly size 12) feet a bit more room?

Many thanks

Ian

Superjack44
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1CB400 SF 1 VFR800 1 Moto Guzz
Re: Now got one - a couple of questions

Post by Superjack44 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:25 pm

Is it an aftermarket clutch lever, Picture would be handy.
The drag could be related to the lever being the wrong one or it could be down to the type of oil in the engine ,it should be semi synthetic.
The gear lever is of the short variety but the angle of it can be adjusted so as to sit with your foot on the foot peg and the lever is positioned above your toes .
Slacken off the 8mm bolt clamping it to the spline pull it off the spline and alter it to suit your requirements .
I don't know if a longer lever is available.

JamesHambleton
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBF125,CB400SF,CB500,Bandit400

Post by JamesHambleton » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:14 pm

When I got mine it had some clutch issues the same as yours, I found my clutch cable was too short and on full lock the cable became taught. I replaced it with a clutch cable from a cbf125 that fits perfectly.

On a normal size lever you should have about 20mm of free play at the end before the cable becomes tight.

iansoady
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by iansoady » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:02 pm

20mm - that's very nearly an inch! I have about 2mm which seems about right to me. The lever movement is very smooth and the cable is free. Drive takes up at about half lever movement and also seems smooth.

If the clutch cable was too short I'd expect clutch slip not drag.

I have moved the gear lever on the splines and adjusted the link rod (I like the left hand and right hand thread on the ends) and it's better but I still feel I may want to lengthen it slightly, Should be easy enough with a couple of fish plates but I'll hold fire on that.

It has been suggested that I change the oil & filter to eliminate them as sources of the clutch drag. It may be worth having a poke around inside the clutch and maybe clean the plates off when I do that.

CB1pod70
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by CB1pod70 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:37 pm

If you're going to poke around inside the engine, check the clutch basket and clutch centre for wear, the plates can wear notches into both which will prevent the plates moving freely causing the drag. New parts (or less worn parts) are the only real cure but you can dress them with a file which will get a bit more life out of them.

iansoady
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by iansoady » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:06 pm

Yes, I'm familiar with that sort of thing from old Brit bikes. I must say dressing with a file only fixes it for a short period.

Given various other comments I've had, I'll change the oil and filter for known quantities then ride it for a while. It may just be sticky deposits on the clutch plates (he said hopefully).

The only manual I can find is a poorly translated Russian one. Do I need any special tools to strip the clutch? I assume it will need a new gasket.