nc31 project

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZS1000 - ivanised / modified
Re: nc31 project

Post by bludclot » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:36 pm

Update September 2018:

Outdoor bike:

A couple of months ago this went through an MOT with a single advisory of cracked tyre valves, there's a plan for this. It has received new grips that fit properly this time and a re-finished headlight:

The bowl is a Honda original that I had re-chromed, the light unit and surround are brand new decent after-market copies. While there I changed the front indicators for new as the originals were both damaged from previous spills and had the headlight brackets powdered silver, really lifting the look of the front of the bike.

I also fitted the expensively re-furbished shocks:

The rusty exhaust pictured a few pages back returned from the polishers and is awaiting fitting, along with a set of stainless studs and nuts:

I have re-finished a spare radiator assembly and will fit this when the exhaust goes on. This only really leaves the rusty fork stanchions to be done to this bike and it's all looking pretty damn smart now. A kind of sneaky rolling restoration one might say....

Restoration bike:

I have changed all the bodywork that I painted for the set that returned from the professional painters. The plastics I painted I have as spares, the tank I have given to be blasted, after that it will be re-painted. Why? I don't know, it's not needed I would rather see it good than not prefect for some reason.

I have tackled the list above:

- can't find neutral. new clutch cable. No, re-fitted linkage right way up this time!
- front right indicator lit with headlight - change the wires I've obviously connected it wrongly! Fixed, fitted four replacement matching indicators
- one rear light bulb inoperative - change both bulbs, may as well while in there. Bought decent Osram bulbs and fitted them.
- exhaust blowing from cylinder head join - fit new copper gaskets, they have arrived already. Fitted new gaskets and exhaust now factory quiet.
- won't idle without choke - strip and clean carb needles and float bowls, probably gummed up. Carbs ultra-sonically cleaned and re-fitted, now runs adequately.
- speedo needle doesn't work - find replacement clocks (?) Ended up buying two sets of clocks and making a good set from the three.
- front brakes spongy - try another master cylinder repair kit. Brakes are improving with use, just needed bedding in.

The bike now starts and runs on the button and yesterday I took it for a run at my local airfield. (I know a man that let me in!) Everything works well and it rides very nicely indeed. There's a new list however:

- doesn't idle perfectly or purr quite like a Honda should.
- gear lever is too long and a bit bent. OK changing down, awkward up. Genuine lever ordered.
- rear shocks too hard for my liking, pre-load needs backing off.
- slight play in head bearings, need tightening.
- rear tyre loses pressure slowly, long valves need changing to short so tyre will be re-seated and checked.
- headlight not aligned for road use.

With this list in mind it's booked into my local bike shop for MOT, carb balancing etc. next week. This is how it looked after yesterday's run:

I am quite happy to sell this bike, contact me if interested.

Superjack44
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1CB400 SF 1 VFR800 1 Moto Guzz

Post by Superjack44 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:51 pm

Both bikes do you credit well done.

bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by bludclot » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:32 pm

The restoration bike passed its MOT yesterday without advisories. It's now for sale, make me an offer?

Tarlowb
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: CB400SF NC39, '88 NC23 tri-arm

Post by Tarlowb » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:33 pm

What a beaut! well done, I've really enjoyed :peace: this thread, good luck with the sale! :peace:

Indosuperfour
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: CB400SF VTEC II

Post by Indosuperfour » Sat May 04, 2019 4:37 am

bludclot wrote:The body set that was with the painters returned:

This is in the process of going on the restored bike. The set that I painted had two problems - I dropped brake fluid on the tank and the paint on the tank continues to shrink over time leaving stretch lines all over. Seeing as both bikes now have good paint there's no rush to blast away my work and have it re-painted. The plastics that I painted are all still good, it's a complete spare set if anyone is interested....

Also today on the restored bike I replaced all four indicators with a good set, all lights now working correctly and righted the gear linkage. Only re-fitting of carbs left to complete the bike now.
What brand of paint (and color code) that you use? Looks same as the factory one.. looks so fresh ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by bludclot » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:03 pm

The wet weather bike received the polished exhaust and new radiator assembly. While there it had a thorough service too, including time spent flushing out the coolant - it took a long time before I was happy with it, a lot of dirt came through before running consistently clear. I also removed the expansion tank and manually cleaned inside and out before re-fitting. Since then the coolant level has remained constant and the same shade of blue as when added, well worth it:

Although not advertised I am happy to sell both bikes to create space for another purchase.

bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by bludclot » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:48 pm

The wet weather bike is sold. I rather unexpectedly bought this which usurped it:

It's a cracking bike in pretty good condition but not too comfortable, it gives me pins and needles in both hands (right side more) after 40 minutes or so. I think I probably bought it pretty much just because I like the colour, all other considerations were secondary. I have already stated spending money on it....

Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i

Post by Foxy400 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:55 am

I've had two of those, one while living in Oz, the other over here. Both fab bikes, totally reliable and great build quality. Only sold the second one when a mint FireBlade (carb model) came up that I couldn't refuse. That has since moved on (regretfully..seen it advertised for £1250 more than I let it go for) to be replaced with the NC35, NC29 and Bonneville.

bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by bludclot » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:03 pm

The restored bike is now sold. Is there any interest in what I do with the CBR or is this thread concluded?

Suzuki416
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 3 x NC35, 3x NC24, NC29, RC46

Post by Suzuki416 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:33 pm

Yep - keep the thread going - Loving the work & annoyingly you keep giving me more ideas.. lol