nc31 project

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
royster81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400R-L NC30 CBR400RR-R NC29
Re: nc31 project

Post by royster81 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:27 am

Oh no don't paint the yellow bike, keep it yellow !!!!
Glad to hear progress is coming along, keep the updates coming too please.
It's not having what you want but wanting what you've got....Loud ,Proud and Modified ....

tomigun
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: HondaCB400sf version R

Post by tomigun » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:50 pm

bludclot wrote: Silly question I know, but how do the bar end weights come out of the bars?

There are at least two kinds of oem handlebars for superfour.The 53100 MY9 000 usually in chrome color and 57000 MY9 750 usually in black. The 57000 MY9 750 (black) have bar end weights which are screwed.
The 53100 MY9 000 has bar end weights weld with electrowelding.
If you remove the plastic handle you will see at the bottom of each side of the handlebar two small melted holes. These should be smoothed using a grinder or a dremel.Maybe you have to drill these two weldings and after that it will be easy to pull out the oem bar end weights from the handlebar.

royster81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400R-L NC30 CBR400RR-R NC29

Post by royster81 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:18 pm

Any more updates on this?
It's not having what you want but wanting what you've got....Loud ,Proud and Modified ....

Tarlowb
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: CB400SF NC39, '88 NC23 tri-arm

Post by Tarlowb » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:38 pm

Seconded, what's the latest?

bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZS1000 - ivanised / modified

Post by bludclot » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:45 am

Apologies for the time gap in replying. It's mostly due to 1) not a great deal has happened and 2) my web host has changed setup criteria so I can't put up pictures - and a thread like this is all about enjoying the pictures...

Red bike: replacement front wheel is in primer, awaiting sanding, black, lacquer and bearings/tyre fitting. I haven't gone any further with the original wheel and the sheared bolt with the drill bit stuck in it, one day though. The replacement speedo and rev counter faces arrived, they look great but still under the stairs awaiting action. I sent the headlight bowl to Chromefix in Birmingham for re-chroming and have ordered new glass and outer rim assembly so that should come up like new once re-assembled. I'm intending to buy new genuine mirrors, horns, grips and other front end bit and bobs so the front of the bike should be up to the standard of the rest.

Yellow bike: this I use a surprising amount, mainly due to the storage area under the seat. I have re-assembled the 'bargain box' calipers for it now using genuine seals and rubbers. The hangers, pins and springs I had bead blasted and the pistons I cleaned and polished myself. I bought another set of braided lines (Wezmoto this time, red bike has Hel) and EBC organic pads. They just need fitting and bleeding. Despite this being a 'budget' brake refresh it was still in the region of £170.

bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by bludclot » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:04 pm

I've moved to a paid web host provider so can provide pictures once again. I've gone through this thread and re-instated as many lost images as possible too.

Red bike progress:

Front end parts have been distributed as necessary, yokes to be blast cleaned, brackets to be powder coated etc.. Still waiting for headlight bowl to be returned, have not had any acknowledgement from ChromeFix that it has been received so that needs chasing. Handle bar has gone NLA from Honda so ordered a Chinese bar from ebay. When arrived the finish is poor and the bends are not the same as the Honda originals so having good, straight original bars might be difficult. New, genuine grips, mirrors, horns and various other parts have been ordered, awaiting delivery. (Another large chunk of money right there!)

Headlight holding brackets prepared:

etched and primed:

I started preparing the headstock area for primer:

The new headlight glass and trim arrived (shown next to the removed item obviously!)

And going through this thread I realised that I haven't posted a picture of the rebuilt calipers:

While fitting the other rebuilt calipers to the yellow bike (which now has a great lever feel front and rear, stops briliantly (and has a back brake that actually makes a difference now!) it became obvious that the wezmoto front lines need two rubber grommets per line. When I checked the Hel lines they only had one per line also, so I emailed Hel and asked them about this. Their replies were very fast, very courteous and they posted a bag of extra grommets straight away. Brilliant service.

Yellow bike progress:

As above, all three calipers are now fitted and superb, as brakes should be. Much front end rattling has disappeared too. Bleeding out the front end to obtain initial lever pressure was difficult, so I suspect that the master cylinder could use a refresh too. Some other time.

The 'bargain box' front wheel was prepared and etched:

before the usual wet sanding, primer/filler coats, wet sanding again and two coats of gloss black:

At this stage I ask for tyre fitting so that's the next step.

Superjack44
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1CB400 SF 1 VFR800 1 Moto Guzz

Post by Superjack44 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:58 pm

Cracking job keep the updates coming please , and a happy new year to you.

bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by bludclot » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:08 pm

I went to see an Ebay member that lives near me to collect a clutch cover, he's had it listed for some time. He sold a complete but not running NC31 at about the end of last summer, I had arranged an appointment but before visiting to view and negotiate somebody else pressed 'Buy It Now'. While there chatting (turns out he's a nice guy and into his bikes) we agreed a further fee and I walked away with:

Meaning that I (or somebody) can paint these and the side panels and swap them onto the yellow bike without it being off the road. Colours still under consideration are black, blue, yellow and red.

Meanwhile some bits arrived back from blast cleaning and powder coating:

With the same batch I put in a few brake parts from the yellow bike calipers that were removed, seeing as this is used on salted roads and in the rain I figure that the brakes on it will need a refresh every year or two so having the parts required ready should be a big help:

Superjack44
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1CB400 SF 1 VFR800 1 Moto Guzz

Post by Superjack44 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:04 pm

Lovely

Josseh
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Josseh » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:23 pm

Awesome work, love checking in on this thread. Did you protect the bearing race before having the steering stem blasted?

[sarcasm]Not jealous in the slightest of that tank.[/sarcasm] I've missed every single chance to buy one with the fuel sender mount in.