nc31 project

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZS1000 - ivanised / modified
nc31 project

Post by bludclot » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:22 pm

i have bought this:

it's a non-runner. so far i have removed the tank and drained it over a bowl, drained the carbs and removed the plugs. all four plugs were black and very wet so they are to be renewed.

plans? use it once running and make it super mint and cleaner than new. a colour change is quite likely.

immediately it needs - fork oil seals, a decent rear tyre and to start and run!

bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: nc31 project

Post by bludclot » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:43 pm

new fuel, new plugs and it started first prod, no choke, no complaints. it idles nicely, gets up to temperature and stays there, goes well enough considering the small capacity and stops nicely. all good.

the not so good - both tyres were under inflated but the rear oozed pink goo from the valve when reading pressure and has a plug and various small splits in it. this will be replaced before i use the bike on the road. both forks smear oil over the stanchions when bounced and are very very soft! new seals and oil me thinks.

so, what's the recommended / factory rear tyre size?

then it's a thorough service before tackling the cosmetics.

bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by bludclot » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:30 pm

a new rear tyre arrived. with the old tyre removed it was apparent that the wheel was quite corroded, it was fairly obvious that the goo had been added to seal the bead to the rim. the wheel was thoroughly abraded smooth and the new tyre fitted, it has been left over night to see whether it holds pressure.

the whole bike was washed and hosed last weekend to get the worst of the dirt off the outside but the nooks and crannies are pretty filthy:

the swing arm and various parts were washed:

i am umming and arring as to whether to paint the swing arm and caliper carrier or just re-fit. thoughts?

i down loaded a manual but it seems to be a translation from russian. torque settings are in h/m, something i'm not familar with.

so, some questions:

torque settings for swing arm, rear axle, caliper bolts?
if the body work turns metallic red what colour should i paint the wheels?
what's the part number for the brake line holder that bolts to the swing arm? (mine is corroded badly)
what intervals should the valve clearances be checked at? and are there tables for this available in english?
recommendations for braided brake lines?

various other parts have arrived, fork seals and oil, number plate and reflector, engine service items - so updates to follow.

bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by bludclot » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:17 pm

lots of good progress in this last week, unfortunately however no replies here - not even a hello. threre's no point in talking to myself so this is the last update.

this is the quietest and least useful forum that i have experienced.

mods - please delete this thread and my username. bye!

bureklton
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: CB400 Super Four

Post by bureklton » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:22 pm

Hows the build going?

bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by bludclot » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:21 am

i did say no more replies!

i have spent a fair bit of money and many hours on the bike. i have also converted my shed into a paint room seeing as there's not enough space left in my garage for both bikes and a paint area.

swing arm is painted, perfect, done. both wheels have new bearings, painted, two new bt45 tyres, perfect, done. sprocket carrier powder coated with new bearings, sprocket painted and fitted with new stainless nuts, looks great! bodywork is prepped and tail and front mud guard are in primer. (i painstakingly removed all old paint first!, tank awaiting paint strip) radiator was found to be bent, have started making up a jig to straighten it as the new ebay chinese radiator is too large and doesn't fit. exhaust is off and polished to a mirror shine, perfect, done. rear under tray has been meticulously cleaned, wiring tidied, new reflector and number plate, perfect, done. forks are off, awaiting re-build and paint, as are the rear shocks and some other assemblies. Lots left to do, have decided to strip it to bare frame and do the job properly.

had given up all hope on this site to be fair.

i have decided on a metallic blood red for the colour. new genuine decals have been ordered along with a whole load of other genuine honda parts where those removed did not clean up to my standards i.e. pretty near perfect.

bureklton
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by bureklton » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:12 pm

That sounds great. I'd love a few pictures, especially the swingarm, wheels, the forks (when you have them painted) and pretty much every other angle :grin: . Did you have much work to do with the wiring? I am in the process of "cafe racering" a CB400 Super four, I bought it off a lad who ran out of money and the job he had done up to that point was....well..... :down: .

Have you done any engine or carb work with it? looks like a pretty tidy bike to start with and I see you got it running nicely.

Keep up the good work and I'd love more updates as you go!

bludclot
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by bludclot » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:26 pm

ok. here is the bike as it stands today:

here is the rear wheel, lacquer over gloss black. this is as painted, not compounded or polished yet. am waiting for a new set of cush drive rubbers.

and this is the arm and rear caliper carrier, waiting on new axle / chain adjustment surrounds and screws as two had to be drilled out when removed:

am intending to make / customise some sort of hugger to protect the cross brace top from stone chips, this is still at the planning stage.

the initial pictures are very flattering. the bike has been down on both sides and was stood outside uncovered for many months before coming to me. look closely at today's picture and frame rust is visible as is the damaged clock surround and headlight. also (while moaning) all brake pistons are rusted (will be replaced along with new seals, pads, fluid and braided lines) the clutch bite point is very near the end of the lever travel, there's movement in the forks (bushes? head bearings? i'll replace the lot) and the rear shocks are flatteringly described as 'tired.' Neither tyre held pressure, the front had two screws buried in it, both wheels were corroded on the bead seating areas and had plenty of 'get me home goo' in and the engine cases have been touched in with a brush were they've scraped the ground. (by a blind man in a sandstorm using a twig.)

Rear loom only needed connectors to the rear lights renewing, again they were somewhat bodged. Engine wise I changed the oil purely as an interim measure. once out of the frame the plan is to check compression numbers and assuming ok to set valve clearances and renew the timing chain and clutch, paint the outside and re-fit.

Superjack44
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1CB400 SF 1 VFR800 1 Moto Guzz

Post by Superjack44 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:43 pm

You have a lot of work to do there but they are great bikes keep the updates coming , I did something similar when I got mine 6 years ago , it had stood for 12 years prior to me getting it off ebay as a basket case.
I stripped it back to the bare frame and repainted it along with the tank and plastics over the winter months i made up a luggage rack for back box and panniers it does everything I want its economical too.
I fitted the largest front sprocket I could get on along with the smallest rear sprocket so as to get maximum mpg on a run riding steady I have had up to 87mpg .
As I said great bikes keep us posted if you do the valves write down the clearences for your records and if you need shims mention on here what number and size is required.

bureklton
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by bureklton » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:30 am

@bludclot Great work so far. I really like the swing arm, I will definitely be doing mine now. What paint did you use and was it rattle can or gun? Great job and keep the updates coming

I am in the same stages of planning regarding the hugger. I am thinking of making it out of fiber glass using a similar technique to the way cafe racer seat humps are made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT6P7qa ... cXSlQoEOwH

@Superjack44 Did you powder coat or paint or frame? How did it turn out and does it stand up to stone chips etc