which tyres would be the best?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
bikerbiffo
Settled in member
Reactions:
which tyres would be the best?

Post by bikerbiffo » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:08 pm

hello
My tyres i have on my superfour have just worn out and i'm looking for some new one's but not quite sure which 1's to go for?
I have pirelli diablo's on at the moment, they seem fine but i'm looking for some thats more hard wearing.
I mainly use my sf for commuting but also like a good ride on a weekend.

so if any recommendations would be very useful :)

cheers

Bodhi
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1995 Honda CB400 SF Version R
Re: which tyres would be the best?

Post by Bodhi » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:20 pm

I've got Bridgestone BT45s on mine and they've been great so far, and are definitely more hard wearing than the Dunlop GPR70s I had on before hand.

superfourben
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by superfourben » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:34 pm

I have BT45s which are very hard wearing, BT 090s are very good but if you're commuting i'd say no unless it is a very twisty road and a short commute, 090's are very sporty and soft and don't last long on a commute (I tried them once and they lasted about 3500 miles)

karltheboy
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by karltheboy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:25 pm

ive just fitted the avon riderunner tyres very good the same a bt45 in my opinion and cheaper

earthbound14
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by earthbound14 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:50 am

I've been riding on some Shinko 741/740s. Cheap sporty tyres that have performed well in all conditions and last about 10,000 Km+. I'm interested in the Bridgestone BT45s because they have a dual compound and riders have suggested they last much longer than my Shinko tires. I'm also curious about the IRC Road Winner RX-01. I have had 4 sets of Shinko tyres and I trust them on commutes and on twisty roads. My only beef with them is that they are a single compound tyre and it seems I might get more miles out of some BT45s.
Last edited by earthbound14 on Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

earthbound14
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by earthbound14 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:52 am

superfourben wrote:I have BT45s which are very hard wearing

How long do your BT45s last? Can you lean them over on some twisty roads?

superfourben
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by superfourben » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:08 am

Without trawling through my receipts I cant give an exact mileage for the BT45s but the rear tyre lasted for two years and I do 2-3 30 mile commutes per week March to November (the rear was replaced sometime last year the front is still the one from two years ago). As for the twisties, they aren't the best (the BT090s are great for twisties) but I did do a track day on brands hatch with them on a fresh pair and had absolutely no problems with them! Hope this helps :grin: :grin: :grin:

Also if it makes any difference to you they are Bias not Radial tyres.

whiskers79
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by whiskers79 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:42 am

I'm coming up for new tyres for my Super Four fairly soon. The bike had Dunlops on it when I bought it, and I have a strong dislike of Dunlop tyres for any vehicle from bicycles to fast cars (I raced on a bike in my foolish youth, and I had an XY GT Falcon for 12 years). I did try a set on my XBR500 a few years ago, and they were "not very good" (I'm trying to be polite).
I'm looking at Pirelli, Michelin, Metzler, Continental. I've heard good things about all of them, particularly the new Metzlers.
I don't really consider cost as tyres are the main thing that keep you rubber side down.

Mansie
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: CB400 Four NC36, NT650V

Post by Mansie » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:42 pm

I wonder what tyres people are using. A few years ago the BT45 was the first choice but now I am looking at other options. Has anyone tried the Avon Storm ST? They perform really well on my other bike. On my CB400 Four I intend to do Summer riding and some touring...
So to kick this thread alive again, just say which tyres you use, what sort of riding, typical milage, and whether you are happy with them. Thanks.

Gidanski
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1994 CB400SF, 2008 CBR600RR

Post by Gidanski » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:49 am

Currently running Pirelli Sport demons, done 2000km and still look new, Handle brilliantly as well, not sure if Dual compound or not though.